DAVID SILVA is an associate in Sidley’s Commercial Litigation and Disputes and White Collar practices. David defends companies and their directors, officers, and employees in complex criminal and civil investigations, government enforcement actions, and white collar matters. David frequently represents clients in issues arising out of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as financial reporting misstatements, regulatory fraud, and employee misconduct. David has conducted numerous multinational investigations throughout Latin America, Africa, and Europe, and has presented findings to various federal agencies, including the DOJ, SEC, FBI, and EPA. David is a member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and frequently advises clients on compliance, ethics, and data privacy matters. David has also successfully defended over a dozen cases in federal and state court as lead counsel.
Prior to joining Sidley, David’s matters included:
- Representation of a multinational retailer in an internal investigation regarding allegations of FCPA violations in Latin America and Asia in response to parallel DOJ and SEC investigations.
- Investigation of allegations of document destruction and spoliation arising out of an internal investigation into the creation and deployment of illicit diesel emissions testing software.
- Investigation and defense of a privately held Mexican pharmaceutical company following allegations of corruption received by U.S.-based distribution partner with contractual audit rights.
- Representation of the CEO of a multinational metals and mining corporation in response to an SEC investigation, including preparation of Wells Submission and defense in follow-on enforcement action.
- Representation of a U.S.-based pharmaceutical company in response to whistleblower allegations of violations of the FCPA, vendor fraud, and COFEPRIS sanitary regulations.
- Representation of a U.S.-based telecom holding company in an investigation of ethics code violations within Argentine subsidiary.
- Defense of a national credit-reporting agency as lead counsel in over a dozen federal lawsuits filed under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, including the successful dismissal or summary judgment of seven actions.
David earned his J.D., from New York University School of Law, where he was the Associate Marden Competition Editor of the Moot Court Board. Prior to law school, David graduated magna cum laude from New York University with a B.A. in International Relations, with honors, and Romance Languages (Spanish and French), and a minor in East Asian Studies (Mandarin).
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of Texas
- U.S. District Court, W.D. of Texas
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Texas
- U.S. District Court, S.D. of Texas
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2012
- New York University, B.A., 2008 (with high honors)