ZHENGYU TANG is the chief representative and resident partner of Sidley’s Shanghai office. He leads the firm’s inbound investment, M&A and regulatory compliance practice in China, representing a wide range of international investors with regard to their China investments, operations and investigations. Examples of Tang’s significant experience include:
- Assisting a Fortune 500 U.S. food industry leader, in its acquisition of multiple Chinese companies, JV-WFOE restructuring and significant China PE investment and financing projects (Transaction value: over US$1 billion).
- Assisting a Fortune 500 European chemicals company, in its major green-field investments, M&A and JV/WFOE restructuring transactions in China (Transaction value: over US$500 million).
- Assisting a top U.S. IT company in its establishment and construction of two high-profile chip manufacturing WFOEs with a total investment of US$2.5 – 3 billion, establishment of an E-business R&D service centre in China and a proposed JV with a major P.R.C.-based IT company to operate retail E-stores throughout China, and strategic investments in start-up IT companies in China.
- Assisting a U.S. Fortune 500 cosmetics company, in its largest overseas R&D center establishment in China and its proposed China, Asia and global M&A transactions.
- Assisting several major U.S. PE and VC funds in making significant investments in leading Chinese companies and divesting their China investments (Transaction value: over US$500 million).
- Assisting a consortium of three global pharmaceutical giants in the joint Asian cancer research project in partnership with a leading Chinese biochip company.
- Assisting a global biopharmaceutical company in its proposed acquisition of a Singapore-listed company with numerous operating subsidiaries in China and Hong Kong and a biopharmaceutical company in China (Transaction value: US$100 – 150 million).
- Assisting a major P.R.C. auto maker in restructuring its manufacturing JV with its European partner and establishing distribution branches in China (Transaction size: US$1.5 – 2.0 billion).
- Conducting internal reviews/investigations (proactive and reactive) and due diligence, handling government inquiries (including many SAIC/AIC cases), building compliance and remediation programs/policies and providing bilingual training on FCPA and local anti-corruption law compliance, for numerous MNCs’ China subsidiaries (including many leading life sciences companies).
Tang has been recognized, for many years, in Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, Asia Pacific Legal 500, IFLR 1000, Who’s Who Legal and PLC Which Lawyer as a leading lawyer for China corporate, M&A, competition and life sciences work. In the 2017 edition of Chambers Asia Pacific, one client reports being “happy to endorse him as a knowledgeable and savvy attorney for working on Chinese regulatory issues and transactions.”
With legal education and training received in China and the United States, Tang has practiced law since 1986, with the Legal Department of China Council for Promotion of International Trade, the China Legal Affairs Centre of the P.R.C. Ministry of Justice, and leading Chinese and international law firms. He is a native Chinese speaker and is fluent in English.