AMANDA TODD is a co-leader of Sidley’s global Insurance practice area team.
She primarily represents insurance companies and financial institutions in a wide variety of insurance industry matters, including corporate finance, M&A, corporate governance and capital markets. Notably, Amanda has been involved in a number of innovative carve out M&A transactions using reinsurance.
Recent examples of Amanda’s experience include representation of:
- American National Insurance in its $5.1 billion acquisition by Brookfield Asset Management Reinsurance Partners (pending).
- Brighthouse Life Insurance Company in the establishment of its $5 billion funding agreement-backed note program
- Global Atlantic (Fin) Company, a subsidiary of Global Atlantic Financial Group, in the issuance of $650 million aggregate principal amount of senior notes and $750 million aggregate principal amount of fixed-to-fixed rate subordinated debentures
- Forethought Life Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Global Atlantic Financial Group, in the establishment of its $10 billion funding agreement-backed note program
- Prosperity Life in the reinsurance of $1.7 billion of statutory reserve liabilities from National Western Life on a coinsurance with funds withheld basis
- Health Care Service Corporation in connection with their issuance of $2 billion (in the aggregate) in senior notes
- MassMutual in the issuance of $700 million of surplus notes in April of 2020
- Credit Suisse and the other purchasing agents in New York Life’s $1.25 billion surplus notes offering in April of 2020
- MassMutual in its exchange offer for approximately $840 million of four outstanding series of its surplus notes for new surplus notes due in 2070, which closed in October of 2019
- Lincoln Financial in connection with the strategic transfer, through reinsurance, of approximately $7.7 billion of annuity risks to Athene Life Re
- Swiss Re Life & Health America in the acquisition through reinsurance of certain individual life business of Security Life of Denver in connection with the Irish scheme of arrangement and related Chapter 15 restructuring of Ballantyne Re
- Lincoln Financial Group as co-counsel in Lincoln’s $3.3 billion acquisition of Liberty Life Assurance Company of Boston from Liberty Mutual
- A highly rated mutual insurance company in connection with the sale, through reinsurance, of multiple blocks of its annuity liabilities with an aggregate reserve transfer of approximately $2.2 billion
- Wells Fargo and the other dealers in connection with Great-West Financial’s $700 million senior notes offering
- Global insurers and reinsurers in over $15 billion of reserve financing transactions
- Nationwide Financial Services in connection with its issuance of $400 million in 30-year senior notes
- CUNA Mutual in its sale of Producers Ag Insurance Group to HCC Group
Amanda was named one of only five Law360 insurance MVPs nationally in 2019. In 2021 and 2018, she received Lexology's “Client Choice Award” for Insurance in Illinois. The award recognizes the “ability to add real value to clients’ business above and beyond the other players in the market,” and winners may only be nominated by corporate counsel. Amanda has also been recognized as an “Up and Coming” lawyer in Illinois by Chambers USA (2009, 2010 and 2011), in The Legal 500 US (2011) and as a “Rising Star” in Euromoney LMG (2015).