JAMES WOOD has significant public and private cross-border M&A experience across many sectors, working with global client and adviser teams, leading negotiations and providing advice to senior client stakeholders on significant, complex and transformative transactions.
James is experienced at delivering successful transactions involving stakeholders located in different countries and requiring the alignment of different cultural backgrounds and priorities. Teams led by James have helped clients successfully complete multi-jurisdictional transactions involving up to 70 countries, and he has advised clients on transactions in Africa, Western and Eastern Europe and, in particular, Asia, having lived and worked for four years in Tokyo.
He has particular experience advising clients on international transactions and other strategic initiatives in the financial services, life sciences, telecoms and technology sectors.
James is recognized by The Legal 500 2017 for M&A, with sources describing him as “very experienced, commercial, friendly” and stating that he is “top-drawer” and a “pleasure to deal with,” and he “finds creative solutions to difficult issues.” Most recently, he has been listed in Best Lawyers 2021 for Mergers and Acquisitions Law.
James’ recent experience includes advising:
- Mavenir in connection with a US$500 million private placement by Koch Strategic Platforms, a subsidiary of Koch Investments Group.
- Travelex on its financial and operational restructuring.
- OrbiMed as lead investor in a $70 million private placement with Mereo BioPharma Group plc.
- Northwood Investors on its acquisition of Five Acre Square.
- Volkswagen AG in its proposed co-investment with Ford Motor Company in autonomous vehicle technology company, Argo AI.
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk on the takeover offer by a wholly owned subsidiary for Ophir Energy plc.