ALEXA POLETTO is a senior managing associate in Sidley’s White Collar: Government Litigation & Investigations and Commercial Litigation and Disputes practices. Alexa represents individual and corporate clients in connection with internal investigations, regulatory enforcement actions and prosecutions conducted by various government agencies, including the U.S. Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the New York Department of Financial Services. Alexa has particular experience in advising clients on economic sanctions and a range of FCPA and anti-corruption compliance issues, including due diligence of business partners in international business transactions. In this regard, she conducts risk assessments, assists in the development and implementation of effective compliance programs and advises on FCPA and anti-corruption issues in mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures. Alexa has experience representing clients in a range of complex civil and criminal litigation.
Prior to joining Sidley, Alexa served as an attorney advisor for the Department of Justice through the DOJ Honors Program. Alexa earned her law degree from Georgetown University Law Center, where she was a notes editor for the Georgetown Immigration Law Journal. Prior to law school she received her B.A. from the College of William and Mary, and was a Fulbright Scholar in Damascus, Syria.
Alexa’s work at Sidley includes:
- Advising the Corporate Compliance Monitor of HSBC Holdings plc and its subsidiaries appointed by the U.S. Department of Justice, the UK Financial Conduct Authority and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System on sanctions matters in connection with the $1.9 billion resolution of money laundering and sanctions violations.
- Representing a major sports organization in connection with the United States Department of Justice indictment of numerous defendants involved in alleged corruption, including conducting witness interviews in connection with an extensive internal investigation.
- Representing a global bank in connection with a Monitorship related to allegations of money laundering and sanctions violations.
- Representing an international company in a breach of contract and fraud suit.
- Representing affiliates of private equity firm ZMC in connection with its acquisition of Simeio Solutions from Welsh Carson, Anderson & Stowe.
Alexa does a significant amount of pro bono work. She has successfully defended clients in numerous federal criminal proceedings, represented asylum applicants and has achieved noteworthy success in FOIA litigation in federal court.