MATT WARREN is a transportation regulatory lawyer and litigator who helps transportation providers resolve commercial disputes and comply with their regulatory obligations. Matt focuses his practice in the rail industry, and he has been nationally recognized by Chambers USA in the Transportation: Rail (for Railroads) category every year since 2014. Client reviews in Chambers USA describe him as “an exceptional and very clear legal writer.” Matt represents some of the largest railroads in the United States in regulatory proceedings before federal agencies and in litigation before federal and state courts. In addition, he represents investors in transportation assets and other entities affected by transportation regulations.
Matt is the contributing editor for Getting the Deal Through: Rail Transport, a comparative law guide to the legal systems governing rail transportation in 14 different countries. Matt authored the “Global Overview” chapter of this annual publication and co-authored the “United States” chapter with others from Sidley’s Transportation practice. Matt is also recognized for his work in Transportation Law by Best Lawyers.
Matt’s engagements for transportation clients include:
- Surface Transportation Board Litigation: Matt represents clients in a variety of proceedings before the Surface Transportation Board (STB), ranging from unreasonable practice complaints to petitions for declaratory orders to service complaints. Matt has extensive experience defending railroads in STB rate reasonableness cases, including nine Stand Alone Cost cases, three cases under the STB’s Three Benchmark methodology and cases invoking the STB’s revenue adequacy constraint as an alternative means of relief.
- Trial and Appellate Litigation: Matt represents railroads in federal and state courts in commercial litigation and litigation involving federal preemption of state and local law. He also represents railroads in petitions to review agency decisions before federal courts of appeal and in other appellate litigation.
- Transactions: Matt advises parties in rail acquisitions and rail line sale transactions and represents parties in STB proceedings to approve transactions. After transactions are approved, Matt also advises parties on compliance with regulatory conditions placed on those approvals.
- Rulemakings: Matt regularly represents parties in rulemakings and public hearings before federal agencies, including the STB, the Federal Railroad Administration and the Department of Transportation.
- Regulatory Advice: Matt also counsels transportation providers about strategies for achieving business goals while complying with federal transportation regulations.