PATRICIA DELOATCHE is a senior policy advisor in the Government Strategies practice. She also serves on the firm’s COVID-19 Task Force. Patricia provides strategic advice to the firm’s clients on legislative and regulatory issues before the Administration, the U.S. Congress and federal and state agencies. Her deep experience and vast network on Capitol Hill uniquely equip her to advocate on behalf of clients. Having worked in both the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives, Patricia also has valuable insight into the federal legislative process, which informs her skillful and effective approach to addressing clients’ most pressing needs in a wide range of industries including life sciences, trade, technology and non-profit.
Patricia joined the firm after more than 25 years as a leading health policy advisor to key members of Congress, serving on health-related committees. In this capacity, she developed, negotiated and implemented significant health legislation. The areas impacted by this legislation include health reform, Medicare, Medicaid, Public Health Service Act programs, biosimilars, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, dietary supplements and over-the-counter (OTC) medicines. In addition, Patricia worked closely with administration officials on regulatory and legislative matters, including those from the Department of Health and Human Services, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Health Resources and Services Administration and the Department of Justice.
Patricia served for over a decade as the health policy director for former Senator Orrin G. Hatch of Utah, who chaired the Senate Committees on Finance, Judiciary and Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP). As Chairman Hatch’s lead health advisor, she made recommendations on congressional strategies, pending legislation, regulatory oversight, federal nominations and congressional investigations. Before working for the U.S. Senate, Patricia was the chief of staff and top health aide to then-House Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee Chairman Michael Bilirakis of Florida.
Legislative and Regulatory Advocacy
- Assisted a client with the retention of a government contract when its renewal was in jeopardy.
- Assisted a client with the commercialization of its federally approved product.
- Facilitated congressional briefings on behalf of clients related to bioengineered drugs and animals, chronic diseases, medically underserved areas and maternal and child health.
- Led client’s legislative and policy efforts associated with FDA regulation of complex drugs.
- Managed advocacy organizations on issues related to healthcare access and patient safety.
- Prepared clients for testifying before key congressional committees by drafting testimony and responses to anticipated questions from committee members.
- Developed several successful federal and state government strategies for clients, which included the participation of key stakeholders and federal policymakers.
- Advised clients on arranging and preparing for meetings with administrative officials and U.S. members of Congress in both Washington, D.C. and state offices.
- Developed background materials including white papers and correspondence for client meetings with federal government officials and key stakeholders.
- Instructed clients on how to present concerns related to Section 301 tariffs to members of Congress and administration officials.
**Not Admitted to Practice Law**