MORGAN BRANCH is a Senior Managing Associate in Sidley’s Chicago office and a member of the Products Liability & Mass Torts Litigation group, and the Commercial Litigation & Disputes Group. Morgan represents clients in their most important trial and litigation matters. She has a diverse range of experience representing and advising pharmaceutical, medical device, manufacturing, commercial, and consumer goods clients in complex product liability and commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts. Morgan has significant experience managing and developing bellwether trial strategy in coordinated proceedings. In this regard, Morgan counsels clients at every stage of the litigation process, from case management and discovery strategy through fact and expert witness depositions, mediation, jury exercises, and trial.
Representative trial work:
- Trial counsel representing plaintiff in Section 1983 civil rights action—Wyatt v. Owens (W.D. Va.)—alleging use of unconstitutionally excessive force in effecting arrest. Jury returned a plaintiff’s verdict and awarded substantial compensatory and punitive damages.
- Selected as trial team member in first bellwether case defending a major medical device company in high-profile product liability litigation concerning a Class III medical device.
- Morgan currently represents an Alabama Death Row inmate as part of Sidley’s Capital Litigation Project. She was recently a lead member of the trial team in support of the client’s petition for post-conviction relief at a week-long evidentiary hearing in July 2021.
Representative litigation matters:
- National counsel rigorously defending a major medical device company in high-profile product liability litigation concerning a Class III medical device. Morgan was a trial team member for the first bellwether case, which resolved shortly before trial.
- National counsel for a pharmaceutical company in a series of product liability actions in state and Federal court involving challenges to a life-saving medication, including failure to warn, fraud, and design defect claims.
- Counsel for pharmaceutical company in consumer class action involving allegations of deceptive labeling.