Sidley Austin LLP
888 Prospect Street, Suite 200
La Jolla, CA 92037
CHRIS EGLESON has built a distinguished nationwide practice as a partner in both the Supreme Court and Appellate and the Commercial Litigation and Disputes groups. He represents clients in California, New York and around the country in appellate and trial courts and in crisis situations.
As an appellate lawyer, Chris has assisted financial institutions, technology companies, sovereign states, foreign officials, governmental entities, private individuals and myriad others on appeals before the U.S. Supreme Court, in nearly every federal Circuit, and in state courts of appeal from New York and Pennsylvania to Kansas, Colorado and California.
In the trial courts and outside of them, Chris’s varied practice is particularly focused on the needs of hedge fund and private equity investment managers and their founders and senior investment professionals. He has represented these clients in a broad variety of cases and crises and as both defendants and plaintiffs. He has handled cases under the federal antitrust and securities laws, contract disputes, a wide variety of cases involving allegations of fraud, consumer protection actions, corporate governance matters, defamation cases, banking disputes and fiduciary duty litigations. He has experience with white collar criminal defense matters and internal investigations involving allegations of fraud, political corruption, insider trading, market manipulation and bribery, and with regulatory matters before the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
Prior to joining Sidley, Chris served as counsel at an international law firm and clerked for the Honorable Norman H. Stahl of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. Chris earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from Harvard Law School, where he was a research assistant to Professors Laurence Tribe and Richard Fallon and then-Professor Heather Gerken, and served as executive articles editor for the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review. He received his B.A. from Brown University.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, C.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, S.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. of New York
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2005 (magna cum laude)
- Brown University, B.A., 1999
- Norman Stahl, U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit (2005 - 2006)