ALYSSA A. GRIKSCHEIT has a diverse corporate practice that currently emphasizes complex transactions and alternative investment funds. Her experience also includes private equity and hedge funds, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances and restructurings. Alyssa is fluent in Spanish and French and has extensive experience in international transactions, particularly those involving Latin America and other emerging markets such as China and India.
Alyssa represents domestic and foreign clients making cross-border investments. She also represents buyers and sellers, including private equity funds and their portfolio companies, in acquisitions, dispositions, strategic alliances, restructurings and financings, including transactions in regulated industries such as the healthcare, pharmaceutical, energy, telecommunications and defense industries. In addition, Alyssa represents sponsors of alternative investment funds in fund formation and other aspects of their operations. Such funds have included distressed debt, energy, infrastructure, real estate opportunity, agribusiness, financial inclusion and emerging market funds.
Alyssa is ranked in Chambers Global, Chambers USA and Chambers Latin America where “she is noted for her work in the M&A and private equity space and has longstanding experience dealing with cross-border transactions in Latin America.” Additionally, she has been recognized in the 2014 and 2015 editions of IFLR1000 as a “Rising Star” for Investment Funds in the United States. Alyssa was also recommended in Private Equity Funds in The Legal 500 US 2014–2017, in Banking & Finance; Corporate and M&A and Pro Bono in Latin Lawyer Magazine 2019 and in Capital Markets and Corporate M&A in The Legal 500 Latin America 2013–2014. Alyssa has been recognized by Latinvex in “Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers” in 2015–2019 for her work throughout the region and is featured as one of “Latin America’s Top 50 Female Lawyers (2015): Corporate/M&A.”
Alyssa actively represents two nonprofit organizations in impact investing projects in emerging markets on a pro bono basis.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Co-Chair, “Drafting and Negotiating Corporate Agreements 2020,” Practising Law Institute (New York, New York, January 15, 2020).
- Moderator, “Ag Private Equity,” Global AgInvesting 2019 (New York, New York, April 2, 2019).
- Panelist, “Global Update,” Private Funds 2019: Developments and Opportunities — Sidley Austin LLP Program (New York, New York, March 6, 2019).
- Panelist, “M&A Roundup: Today’s Deal Landscape,” PLI’s 50th Annual Institute on Securities Regulation (New York, New York, November 7–9, 2018).
- Moderator, “Ag Private Equity,” Global AgInvesting 2018 (New York, New York, April 24, 2018).
- Panelist, “Private Equity: Emerging Trends and Challenges,” Sidley New York Business Summit (New York, New York, June 13, 2018).
- Speaker, “Brazil Private Market Structures,” Brazilian Private Market Opportunities (New York, New York, February 15, 2018).
- Speaker, “Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company 2017,” Practising Law Institute (New York, New York, June 22–23, 2017).
- Panelist, “Alternative Investment and Domestic Funds,” Deutsche Bank Global Transaction Banking Alternative and Domestic Funds Services Client Event (São Paulo, Brazil, October 21, 2014).
- Panelist, “Aggregating Capital for Impact Investment,” Legal Symposium on Impact Investing (New York, New York, October 2, 2014).
- Panelist, “Managing and Marketing Funds in Asia, Europe and Latin America,” Private Funds 2014: Developments and Opportunities - Sidley Austin LLP Program, (New York, New York, September 10, 2014).
- Co-Chair, “Private Equity: Legal and Financial Instruments for Structuring Private Equity and Venture Capital Investments,” International Bar Association Session (São Paulo, Brazil, June 6, 2013).
- Chair, Private Equity Latin America Forum and Speaker, “Funds & Deals – Structuring Private Equity Investment in Latin America,” Latin Markets (New York, New York, May 9–10, 2013).
- Co-Chair, 2011 Seasonal Meeting of the New York State Bar Association and Speaker, Private Equity in Latin America (Panama City, Panama, September 20–24, 2011).
- Speaker, “La práctica transfronteriza y la colaboración con abogados locales,” Barra Mexicana XII Congreso Nacional de Abogados (Veracruz, Mexico, March 20, 2010).
- Co-Chair and Speaker, “Private Equity in Latin America,” New York State Bar Association Panel (New York, New York, September 17, 2009).
Admissions & Certifications
- New York
- The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1994 (cum laude)
- College of Europe, Bruges, M.A., 1991
- Harvard University, A.B., 1990 (magna cum laude)