ANIKA HERMANN BARGFREDE is an associate in the Corporate group in Sidley’s Chicago office. Her principal areas of practice include the representation of buyers and sellers in public and private mergers and acquisitions, as well as the advising of numerous publicly traded corporations on a wide range of matters, with a particular focus on federal securities laws and corporate governance.
Clients served in recent representative transactions include:
- Markel Corporation in its $920 million acquisition of publicly traded State National Companies Inc.
- Exelon Corporation in connection with its acquisition of the James A. FitzPatrick Nuclear Power Plant
- GE Aviation in connection with its joint ventures with Praxair, Inc.
- Aon Corporation in the sale of its fire protection engineering business to Jensen Hughes
- BDT Capital Partners in connection with its investment in Athletico Physical Therapy, one of the largest providers of orthopedic rehabilitation services in the U.S.
- Other private equity firms, including Thompson Street Capital Partners and RoundTable Healthcare Partners, in acquisition and sale transactions
- Commonwealth Edison Company in several offerings of its first mortgage bonds
Anika previously served as Assistant Corporate Secretary and Senior Counsel, Securities & Transactions at The Kraft Heinz Company. In this role, she reported directly to the General Counsel to support the Office of the Corporate Secretary for Kraft Heinz’s Board of Directors and represented Kraft Heinz in domestic and international M&A transactions, including carveout divestitures, acquisitions and other strategic partnerships and investments.
Anika graduated second in her class and summa cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law and was elected to the Order of the Coif. During law school, Anika received Rickert Awards for Excellence in Academics and Excellence in Legal Writing, as well as numerous CALI Awards for achieving the highest grade in the class, including for Securities Regulation. Also while in law school, Anika served as a notes editor for the University of Illinois Law Review and as a judicial extern to the Honorable Michael M. Mihm of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois. Prior to earning her J.D., Anika graduated first in her class, summa cum laude and with Highest Distinction, from the University of Illinois with a B.A. in Political Science and Communication. She also earned Phi Beta Kappa, Bronze Tablet and Senior 100 honors.