SETH KATZ is a partner in the firm’s Chicago office and a member of the Corporate group. Seth’s principal areas of practice are private equity, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital investments, corporate finance and strategic counseling/corporate governance.
Seth regularly represents private equity funds, as well as public and private companies in connection with their transactional needs and other corporate matters. He also has experience representing clients in a number of industries, including medical products and devices, healthcare and pharmaceuticals, technology, media/entertainment, industrials, building products and financial institutions.
Recent private equity transactions in which Seth has been involved, among others, include:
- Multiple transactions by RoundTable Healthcare Partners and their portfolio companies, including the acquisitions of Moberg Pharma’s OTC business (d/b/a Advantice Health), Beaver-Visitec International and Tidi Products, the investment in Deerland Enzymes and Probiotics, add-on acquisitions for Argon Medical Devices (including the acquisition of Angiotech Pharmaceutical’s biopsy/interventional business), Tidi Products’ acquisition of Posey, Aspen Surgical Products, Beaver-Visitec International, CorePharma and Vesta and the sales by RoundTable Healthcare Partners of Aspen Surgical to Hill-Rom, Aqua Pharmaceuticals to Almirall, Avalign Technologies to Arlington Capital Partners, Excelsior Medical to ICU Medical and Medline, Beaver-Visitec International to TPG Capital and Argon Medical to Shandong Weigao
- Represented One Equity Partners in the formation of Resolute Industrial from a carve-out of two businesses from a large conglomerate and Resolute Industrial in its acquisition of Tioga HVAC and the subsequent sale of Resolute Industrial to AE Industrial Partners
- Acquisition by a joint venture formed by Allscripts Healthcare Solutions and GI Partners of Netsmart Technologies from Genstar Capital
- Investment in Kerasotes Theatres by Providence Equity Partners and sale by Kerasotes Theatres of substantially all of its movie theatres to AMC
- Sale by PEAK6 Investments, L.P. of OptionsHouse LLC to General Atlantic
- Sale by Clear Lam Packaging of its Thermoforming Division to D&W Fine Pack
- Sale of Battenfeld Technologies to Clearview Capital
In addition to the matters previously noted, other significant M&A transactions that Seth has represented clients include:
- Acquisition by Stryker Corp. of HyperBranch Medical Technology, Inc.
- Acquisition by RTI Surgical of Paradigm Spine
- Sale by General Electric Company of its GE Appliances Business to Haier Group
- Sale by General Electric Company of its GE Appliances Business to AB Electrolux (Terminated)
- Merger between Aon Corporation and Hewitt Associates, Inc.
- Merger between Pulte Homes, Inc. and Centex Corporation
- “Going private” transaction of Tribune Company
- Sale of Landauer to Fortive
- Acquisition by Veritiv of All American Containers
- Multiple transactions by Nationstar Mortgage involving the acquisition of mortgage servicing rights, including from Bank of America
- Sale by GE Oil & Gas of its Advanced Sensors business to Amphenol Corporation
- Sale by GE Capital and SeaCo Limited of their GE SeaCo SRL joint venture to HNA Group Company Limited of China
- Multiple transactions by Masonite Corporation, including the acquisitions of the Wood Door Division of Assa Abloy (Graham/Maiman), Marshfield Doorsystems, Algoma Hardwoods, Birchwood Best, Lifetime Doors and Ledco
- Merger between Churchill Downs Incorporated and Youbet.com, Inc.
- Acquisition by eBay (through its PayPal business unit) of Paydiant
- Divestiture by Aon Corporation of its Combined Insurance Company of America supplemental accident and health and life insurance company business to ACE Limited and its Sterling Life Insurance Company subsidiary to Munich Re
- Divestitures by General Electric Company including its sale of GESCO (GE’s electrical distribution business) to Rexel S.A. (a portfolio company of Clayton Dubilier) and the sale of its HVAC and commercial AC motors businesses to Regal-Beloit
- Creation of Early Warning Services, LLC, a joint venture amongst First Data Corporation, Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Wachovia, Wells Fargo and BB&T
- Divestiture by MassMutual Financial Group of Antares Capital Corporation
- Acquisitions by joint ventures formed by Tribune Company, Gannett Co. and Knight-Ridder, as well as certain other media companies, of HomeGain.com, Topix.net and CrossMedia Services
- Venture capital investments in 37signals, LLC, Mindcrest Inc. and Paylocity Corporation
Seth received his J.D. in 2002 from Harvard Law School. Prior to attending law school, he received his A.B., magna cum laude, from Duke University in 1999.
Admissions & Certifications
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2002
- Duke University, A.B., 1999 (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)