JAMES PHYTHIAN-ADAMS’ main areas of practice are corporate, commercial and regulatory work for insurance companies, insurance intermediaries, Lloyd’s managing agencies and Lloyd’s syndicates.
He advises on a wide variety of non-contentious legal and insurance regulatory matters, including ILW; ILS; life and longevity; insurtech; distribution; MGA and coverholder formation, operation and incubation; Lloyd’s turn-keys; insurance company formation, acquisition, governance, compliance and disposal; branch set-up; subsidirization; international licensing; and Lloyd’s, PRA, FCA and other compliance issues.
Recent experience includes advising:
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., a global insurance brokerage, risk management and consulting services firm, in its acquisition of the treaty reinsurance brokerage operations of Willis Towers Watson for US$3.25 billion.
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. on its US$3.57 billion acquisition of Willis Towers Watson Assets.
- Athene Holding in connection with its proposed merger with Apollo Global Management.
- Great Hill Partners in connection with its acquisition of Notonthehighstreet, a UK curated online marketplace.
- GIC in connection with a US$1 billion investment in Convex Group, led by GIC and Onex Partners.
James was ranked by Chambers UK 2021 for Insurance: Non-contentious, with sources describing him as “very knowledgeable as well as being great to work with.” Sources of the 2021 edition also say “He provides top-quality drafting and is excellent at delivering complex deals to tight timescales.”