JAMES PHYTHIAN-ADAMS’ main areas of practice are corporate, commercial and regulatory work for (re)insurance companies, (re)insurance intermediaries, Lloyd’s managing agencies and Lloyd’s syndicates, and investors in the insurance sector.
He advises on a wide variety of non-contentious legal and insurance regulatory matters, including ILW; ILS; life and longevity; insurtech; distribution; MGA and coverholder formation, operation and incubation; Lloyd’s turn-keys; insurance company formation, acquisition, governance, compliance and disposal; branch set-up; subsidirization; international licensing; and Lloyd’s, PRA, FCA and other compliance issues.
Recent experience includes advising:
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., a global insurance brokerage, risk management and consulting services firm, in its acquisition of the treaty reinsurance brokerage operations of Willis Towers Watson for US$3.25 billion.
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. on its US$3.57 billion acquisition of Willis Towers Watson Assets.
- Athene Holding in connection with its proposed merger with Apollo Global Management.
- Great Hill Partners in connection with its acquisition of Notonthehighstreet, a UK curated online marketplace.
- GIC in connection with a US$1 billion investment in Convex Group, led by GIC and Onex Partners.
James is recognized by Chambers UK 2022 as an “Associate to watch” for Insurance: Non-contentious. Sources from the 2021 edition commented that he "provides top-quality drafting and is excellent at delivering complex deals to tight timescales.” James is also ranked in Legal 500 UK 2022 for Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory with clients saying he is “commercial, available at very flexible times and a pleasure to work with.”