JILLIAN SHERIDAN STONECIPHER is a senior managing associate in the litigation group in the Washington, D.C. office. She has experience representing clients in a wide range of litigation in trial and appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, in matters involving, among other things, constitutional and administrative law, intellectual property, and contracts.
Jillian’s recent matters include:
- Representing a medical technology company in an appeal to the Federal Circuit, petition for certiorari, and successful Supreme Court merits briefing in Minerva Surgical, Inc. v. Hologic, Inc., regarding the patent law doctrine of assignor estoppel.
- Representing an international engineering and manufacturing company in a successful appeal to the Ninth Circuit of a $95 million jury verdict and district court award in a case involving trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract claims.
- Representing a nonprofit foundation in cases raising constitutional, Administrative Procedure Act, and state law challenges to use of park land, including responding to subpoenas and successfully opposing a motion for preliminary injunction.
- Representing an accreditor of educational institutions in multiple high profile challenges to accreditation decisions, including successfully opposing motions for emergency relief.
- Representing an asset management firm in accelerated arbitration regarding breach of contract claims, including directing discovery, preparing team for arbitration, and deposing opposing party’s general counsel.
- Representing an author in a First Amendment and due process challenge to a decision of the Illinois Department of Corrections to ban the author’s book from Department facilities, including deposing named defendants and expert witness.
- Representing a nonprofit which advises state leaders regarding the conduct of elections and litigation relating to elections, including advising regarding election and litigation risks based on states’ laws, emergent facts, including the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic, and constitutional requirements.
Prior to joining Sidley, Jillian served as a law clerk for the Honorable Gregg J. Costa of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and for the Honorable Barbara M. G. Lynn, chief judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
Jillian received her J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School, where she participated in the final round of the Ames Moot Court Competition, interned at the Digital Media Law Project, and served on the Senior Board of the Harvard Journal of Law & Gender. Before law school she graduated with honors from the University of Texas at Austin with a B.A. in Plan II Honors and a B.S. in Political Communication. While there, she served as Editor in Chief of The Daily Texan.