TERENCE M. (TERRY) HYNES, senior counsel in Sidley’s Washington, D.C. office, focuses his practice primarily in matters involving the transportation industry. Over the past 40+ years, Terry has represented railroads, ocean carriers, private equity firms and financial institutions in connection with mergers and acquisitions, inter-carrier agreements and rail corridor development projects involving both freight and passenger service. He also represents transportation industry clients in connection with commercial, regulatory and appellate litigation.
Terry has been at the forefront of the development of high-speed passenger rail service in the United States, serving as counsel to privately-owned high-speed rail projects throughout the United States. He has been an advocate for regulatory reforms designed to promote private investment in the high-speed rail sector.
Terry has extensive experience in connection with bankruptcy proceedings involving transportation firms. He has represented clients in connection with the successful bankruptcy reorganization of several railroads and ocean shipping companies.
Terry’s representative engagements include:
- Fortress Transportation and Infrastructure Investors, LLC in connection with its acquisition of Transtar, LLC and its six railroad subsidiaries from U.S. Steel Corporation (2021)
- Baltimore-Washington Railroad Company, in connection with the development of a high-speed passenger rail line between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD (2020 to present)
- iCON Infrastructure Partners Ltd, in connection with the acquisition of an equity position in Iowa Interstate Railroad (2020)
- Brightline Holdings LLC, in connection with its acquisition of DesertXpress Enterprises and the development of a high-speed passenger rail line between Southern California and Las Vegas, NV (2018–present)
- Texas Central Partners, in connection with the development of a high-speed passenger rail line between Dallas and Houston, TX (2016–present)
- Fortress Transportation & Infrastructure GP, in connection with the sale of Central Maine & Quebec Railway (2019)
- A consortium of private equity investors, in connection with the proposed acquisition of Genesee & Wyoming, Inc. (2019)
- Brightline Holdings LLC, in connection with the development of a high-speed passenger rail line between Miami and Orlando, FL (2010–present)
- A private equity client, in connection with its proposed acquisition of Grenada Railroad (2018)
- Fortress Investment Group, in connection with the merger of its subsidiary, Florida East Coast Railway, with GMexico de Transportes SA de CV, a transaction valued at $2.1 billion (2017)
- A private equity client, in connection with its proposed acquisition of the Providence & Worcester Railroad (2016)
- Central Maine & Quebec Railway USA, in connection with its bankruptcy acquisition of the rail assets of Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (2015)
- Fortress Investment Group, in connection with the $1.4 billion sale of RailAmerica to Genesee & Wyoming, Inc. (2012)
- A Class 1 railroad, in connection with its $1.4 billion acquisition of Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad Corporation (2008)
Terry has written articles on transportation-related topics and authored a chapter in the book “Debating Reform” (Congressional Quarterly Press 2010). He has appeared as a speaker at transportation industry conferences in the United States and Canada.
Terry is a Senior Lecturing Fellow at Duke University School of Law, where he teaches “Deal Skills for the Transactional Lawyer”.
In every year since 2008, Terry has been recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers as a leading practitioner in the National Transportation (Rail) category. He has also been recognized by Best Lawyers in America since 2017 in the area of Transportation Law and in Washington’s Super Lawyers magazine.