DANIEL Z. ALTMAN is a partner in Sidley’s Tax group. Dan represents clients with respect to all tax aspects of domestic and cross-border M&A and corporate restructuring transactions, including tax free and taxable transactions, stock and asset sales, mergers, bankruptcy restructuring, spin-offs, recapitalizations, joint ventures, inbound and outbound investments, and IP structuring and utilization. He provides tax advice in a variety of fields, including life insurance, property and casualty insurance, IP, healthcare, real estate, manufacturing, services, asset management and others. Dan also advises clients on all international aspects of U.S. federal income taxation and assists clients in their international tax planning.
Dan is recommended in Tax: International Tax in The Legal 500 US 2017 and is recognized as a “Next Generation Lawyer” in Tax Directors Handbook 2018. Most recently, Dan was recognized by Opportunity Zone Magazine in its 2019 and 2020 “Top 25 Opportunity Zone Influencers” list.
Dan received his doctoral degree from Harvard Law School and, in addition to other publications, has published a book on Dispute Resolution under Tax Treaties in 2006 and authored the Bloomberg BNA Portfolio on dual consolidated losses in 2018. In 2006, Dan received the prestigious Mitchell B. Carroll Prize from the International Fiscal Association for his dissertation on the resolution of international tax disputes.
Among his deals, Dan has represented:
- Sirius International Insurance Group in its strategic merger with Third Point Reinsurance, creating a $3.3 billion company (pending).
- Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group as lender and opportunity zone equity investor for the development of a mixed-use project that will house the National Urban League’s new headquarters in Harlem, New York City.
- OrbiMed as the lead investor in a US$70 million private placement by Mereo BioPharma Group plc.
- Aprea Therapeutics, Inc. in its US$98 million initial public offering of common stock.
- Sirius International Insurance Group in its planned merger with Easterly Acquisition Corp., which will result in a combined publicly traded company with a market capitalization of approximately US$2.2 billion.
- American International Group in the multi-billion dollar sale of its legacy life settlements portfolio to leading alternative investment management firms.
- Sirius International Insurance Group in the acquisition of International Medical Group.
- Sirius International Insurance Group in the acquisition of ArmadaCorp Capital.
- Harvest Partners and its portfolio company EyeCare Services Partners, a vertically integrated ophthalmologic services platform in numerous acquisitions of clinics and practices.
- Siris Capital Group, LLC acquisition of Premier Global Services, Inc. for US$1 billion.
- Nomura acquisition of minority shares American Century Companies, Inc. (a Mutual Fund Manager) for approximately US$1 billion.
- Siris Capital Group, LLC acquisition of Polycom, Inc. for US$2 billion.
- Kimmeridge Energy sale of Arris Petroleum Corp and other related assets to PDC Energy Inc. for US$1.5 billion.
- OMERS Private Equity Inc., in partnership with existing physician owners, acquisition of Forefront Dermatology.