DAVID CARPENTER is a partner in Sidley’s Supreme Court and Appellate practice and the Los Angeles litigation group. David’s expansive practice cuts across substantive areas of law and has included significant work for clients in the life sciences, consumer products, financial services, technology and entertainment industries. David has experience briefing cases in the United States Supreme Court, the California Supreme Court and numerous federal and state courts of appeals. He also has significant experience at the trial level briefing class certification oppositions and dispositive motions, as well as working with trial counsel to prepare trial briefs, motions in limine, and jury instructions, and to preserve key issues for appeal.
Prior to joining the firm, David clerked for the Honorable Chester J. Straub of the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and for the Honorable John G. Koeltl of the Southern District of New York.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, C.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, S.D. of California
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2003 (cum laude, Order of the Coif, Executive Editor, New York University Law Review)
- Princeton University, A.B., 2000 (magna cum laude)
- Chester Straub, U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit (2005 - 2006)
- John G. Koeltl, U.S. District Court, S.D. of New York (2003 - 2004)