JUSTINE FASSION advises and represents companies, governments and trade associations on a wide range of international trade law matters, with a particular focus on economic sanctions, export controls, WTO law and most recently Brexit.
Justine has significant experience advising on EU economic sanctions and export controls, including for dual-use, encryption and military items. Such experience also includes trade due diligence in the context of corporate transactions, advice on conflict of law issues (such as under the EU Blocking Statute) and requests for licenses before several EU Member State authorities. Justine regularly assists companies with strategic compliance issues, including risk/gap assessments, internal investigations and development and review of compliance policies, as well as training courses.
In addition, Justine advises on the compatibility of EU trade legislation with WTO rules as well as market access opportunities deriving from trade agreements.
Prior to joining Sidley, Justine worked in the political division of the French Embassy in Malaysia, in the legal department of the French Permanent Mission to the WTO in Geneva, and in investment arbitration and litigation practices at other international law firms in Paris.
Admissions & Certifications
- Associated member of the Brussels bar – E list
- Sciences Po, Masters in International Business Law, 2013
- Columbia University School of Law, Certificate in Global Business Law and Governance, 2013
- École Normale Supérieure de Cachan, Masters and Agrégation in Law, Economics, and Management, 2011
- Université de Rennes 1, Masters in European Law, 2010