Drawing on the firm’s global resources, Sidley is the only firm providing WTO legal services from offices in Geneva, Washington, D.C. and Brussels. Our team of professionals assists companies, governments, and trade associations worldwide on the enforcement of the complex web of global trading rules regulating international commerce. The WTO is at the center of that web, and is also at the center of our trade team’s practice.
Sidley’s WTO practitioners:
- assist business, trade association, and government clients facing market access barriers or unfair conditions of competition in foreign markets by successfully integrating WTO arguments into their advocacy with governments;
- counsel private and government clients on strategies for enforcing WTO commitments through WTO dispute settlement, including analyzing WTO law, preparing claims and defenses, and appearing as counsel or supporting government counsel in all procedural phases of proceedings before the WTO panels and the Appellate Body; and
- advise clients on structuring transactions and investments to take account of WTO law as interpreted through jurisprudence.
WTO Dispute Settlement
- Actionable and Export Subsidies
- Government Procurement Trade
- Trade Remedies (Antidumping, Countervailing Duties, Safeguards, Textile Safeguards)
- Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS)
- Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures/Technical Barriers to Trade
- Market Access and National Treatment - Goods and Services