JOHN GROTHAUS is an associate in the firm’s Insurance and Financial Services group in Chicago.
He represents insurance, financial and private equity firms in a variety of corporate and securities matters involving the insurance industry, including M&A, capital investments and complex insurance financings, and focuses on developing creative, practical solutions for client needs.
Transactions on which John has advised include representation of:
- Hagerty in its merger with Aldel Financial Inc., resulting in a combined publicly traded company with a market capitalization of approximately $3.13 billion, including a $704 million fully committed PIPE (pending)
- Primerica in its strategic acquisition of e-TeleQuote, a Florida-based senior health insurance distributor of Medicare-related insurance policies, valued on a pre-debt enterprise basis at $600 million
- Cigna in the $6.3 billion sale of its group life and disability insurance business to New York Life
- Kuvare Holdings subsidiary Guaranty Income Life Insurance Company in the acquisition of Lincoln Benefit Life Company
- RGA in the formation of Langhorne Holdings, a Bermuda-based global acquisition platform targeting life and annuity business, sponsored by RGA and RenaissanceRe, including Langhorne’s initial equity raise in excess of $780 million. Langhorne was named “Launch of the Year” at the 2018 Reactions North America Awards
- Sirius International Insurance Group in acquiring ArmadaCorp Capital
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company for its public tender for three outstanding series of surplus notes and the corresponding issuance of new surplus notes
- Aurigen Re in its offering of more than C$300 million in embedded value-linked notes
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company in its $21 billion MassMutual Global Funding II program
- Markel Corporation in acquiring specialty insurer State National Companies, Inc., a transaction valued at $920 million
- RGA in connection with the first-ever term life PBR reserve financing solution completed for a leading life insurer
- Mutual Trust Financial Group in its merger with Pan-American Life Insurance Group, a merger of two mutual insurance holding companies
- Sentry A Mutual Insurance Company in its mutual affiliation with Florists’ Mutual Insurance Company
John maintains an active pro bono practice, including advising legally underserved emerging businesses through Sidley’s Emerging Enterprises Pro Bono Program, advising not-for-profit entities in a variety of corporate matters, and representing asylum seekers and refugees fleeing persecution abroad through Sidley’s Political Asylum and Immigrants’ Rights Project.
John graduated magna cum laude from Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, where he was the Editor-in-Chief of the Washington University Global Studies Law Review.