DENISE KARA is an experienced EU data protection, privacy, information technology, e-commerce and cybersecurity lawyer. Denise provides practical and strategic advice to international clients regarding compliance with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the UK Data Protection Act, E-Privacy laws, international data transfers (including the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield) and jurisdiction-specific privacy and cybersecurity laws. In particular:
- Advising international clients on compliance with the GDPR including designing and implementing global GDPR compliance projects.
- Developing data flow maps to help clients understand the life cycle of personal data.
- Developing external and internal-facing policies, procedures and notices to facilitate compliant data collection and handling, including privacy notices, data privacy policies and privacy risk assessments.
- Developing comprehensive privacy training programs and assisting in implementing employee training.
- Conducting privacy risk assessments.
- Assisting with privacy and data security due diligence in connection with corporate transactions (e.g., M&A transactions).
- Developing vendor management programs to help ensure compliance with privacy and data protection requirements.
- Negotiating contracts involving the processing or sharing of personal data.
- Developing comprehensive global cross-border data transfer strategies, including Binding Corporate Rules and EU Standard Contractual Clauses.
- Advising clients on the territorial application of the GDPR.
- Assisting clients with data breach readiness planning and the prevention of cyber intrusions, to incident response and the handling of disputes arising from such events.
Denise recently advised Goldman Sachs on its investment in tech and software platform LumApps.
Prior to Sidley, Denise was a senior solicitor in the banking and finance practice of a member of the Big Six of Australian law firms and at a major global law firm.
Denise spent several months on secondment to a leading retail financial services group as corporate counsel to a start-up team in Australia involved in establishing an online credit-score website for consumers. Whilst there she regularly gave advice on compliance and privacy related issues and direct marketing campaigns.
Admissions & Certifications
- High Court of Australia
- New South Wales, Australia
- Flinders University of South Australia, LL.B., 2011
- Flinders University of South Australia, Bachelor of Behavioural Science, 2010