DENISE KARA provides practical and strategic advice on a wide range of data protection, privacy, and cybersecurity matters, including in relation to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), e-Privacy laws, the NIS Directive, and international data transfers (including compliance with Schrems II). Denise has in depth knowledge across various industries including private equity, financial services, healthcare, telecommunications, technology, and e-commerce.
Denise’s recent experience in assisting clients in matters involving privacy, cybersecurity, regulatory and enforcement issues include:
- Advising a multinational sustainable food organisation in its cross-border data breach and cyber incident notification obligations.
- Advising a multinational organisation in its global response and investigation following a cybersecurity incident.
- Advising e-commerce, financial services, healthcare, insurance, life sciences, telecommunications, and technology companies on complex regulatory and enforcement matters.
- Developing external and internal-facing policies, procedures and notices to facilitate compliant data collection and handling, including privacy notices, data privacy policies and privacy risk assessments.
- Advising on privacy and data protection compliance and risk mitigation in Big Data analytics and emerging technologies.
- Developing GDPR preparedness programs and counselling companies on GDPR compliance matters.
- Assisting clients with data breach readiness planning and the prevention of cyber intrusions, to incident response and the handling of disputes arising from such events.
Prior to Sidley, Denise spent several months on secondment to a leading retail financial services group as corporate counsel to a start-up team in Australia involved in establishing an online credit-score website for consumers. Whilst there she regularly gave advice on compliance and strategies in relation to data protection and privacy related issues as well as direct marketing campaigns.