STEVE SEXTON is a trial lawyer in the firm’s Chicago office who represents both plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial and financial litigation matters with a focus on securities and commodities litigation, SEC and CFTC investigations, internal investigations and litigation involving investment funds. Steve has represented clients at both the trial and appellate levels in federal and state courts throughout the country, and in arbitrations. Steve has significant trial experience. Steve recently successfully obtained a $134 million judgment in a complex commercial dispute between joint venture partners after a five-week trial.
Commercial and Financial Litigation
Steve represents hedge funds and their investment managers, hedge fund administrators, investment advisers, commodity pool operators and their advisors, brokers, national banks and clearing firms. Examples of recent engagements include:
- Defense of a hedge fund and its managers alleging claims of state securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Defense of hedge fund and its managers against clawback action.
- Defense of hedge fund administrator in a putative class action alleging federal securities fraud and common law claims.
- Defense of hedge fund administrator alleging claims of breach of fiduciary duty and negligence.
- Defense of national bank against claims of state securities fraud.
- Defense of options clearing firm against putative class action claims of federal securities fraud.
- Defense of options clearing firm against claim of state securities fraud.
- Prosecution of claims on behalf of hedge fund investors seeking redemptions of their investments.
Steve has also represented a variety of clients in energy-related matters. Examples of recent engagements include:
- Prosecution of claims of breach of easement agreement and negligence on behalf a crude oil pipeline operator relating to an oil release.
- Prosecution of an investor’s claims in an oil drilling venture.
- Defense of fraudulent transfer lawsuit involving oil and gas transportation company.
- Representation of oilfield services company in claims involving negligent design of oil rig.
Pro Bono & Community Involvement
Steve is active in pro bono matters. He has successfully obtained political asylum in the United States for a Haitian refugee and has represented indigent individuals in civil matters.
Steve served as a member of the American Cancer Society’s Associate Board of Ambassadors.