ROB VELEVIS concentrates his practice in the area of complex civil litigation in state and federal courts throughout the United States. Rob has experience in multijurisdictional disputes, including class actions and multi-district litigation, energy-related litigation, complex financial services litigation, including litigation involving derivatives contracts, mergers and acquisitions litigation and bankruptcy litigation.
Representative matters have included:
- Successfully prevailed in arbitration for REIT against earn-out claims connected to an acquisition.
- Representing a helicopter manufacturer in litigation arising from an accident in the Grand Canyon.
- Frequently represents private equity firms in important litigation matters. Recent work includes representing a healthcare company in an earn-out dispute with its former owner in which we obtained a complete victory on behalf of the company.
- Representing a hotel and gaming company in multi-jurisdiction litigation alleging common law and securities fraud in the sale of hotel-condominiums.
- Representing a midstream energy company in litigation relating to the operations of a gas processing plant and in litigation alleging breach of a gas sale agreement.
- Representing general partner of real estate partnership in several litigation matters. Obtained a TRO on behalf of the general partner against a group of limited partners who were attempting to call a vote to replace the general partner in violation of the partnership agreement. Also represented the client in defeating a TRO brought by another limited partner in the partnership.
- Significant litigation and counseling experience involving valuation of derivatives contracts and the effect of bankruptcy on such agreements.
- Representing a major airline as plaintiff in two related antitrust matters alleging conspiracies by global distribution systems.
- Representing directors of publicly traded technology company in litigation brought by shareholders seeking to enjoin its acquisition; after an evidentiary hearing, successfully defeated attempted preliminary injunction.
Rob was recognized as a “Rising Star” for Business Litigation in Texas Super Lawyers/Texas Monthly from 2009–2018. In addition, the Anti-Defamation League named him the 2013 Recipient of the Daniel R. Ginsberg Leadership Award and Disability Rights Texas gave him the 2013 Pro Bono Award.
Rob serves as the chair of the office pro bono committee and regularly handles pro bono matters, including a significant class action against the State of Texas concerning the treatment and institutionalization of people with disabilities. Rob also serves as a member of the regional board of the Anti-Defamation League.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Texas
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2004
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2001