ROB VELEVIS concentrates his practice in the area of complex civil litigation and arbitrations throughout the United States. Rob’s practice focuses on private equity disputes, bankruptcy and distressed financial situations, M&A transaction-related litigation, and oil and gas related disputes.
Representative matters have included:
- Lead litigation counsel for private equity sponsor in dispute with portfolio company management team resulting from management’s unauthorized bankruptcy filing.
- Prevailed at summary judgment for midstream energy company in litigation alleging fraudulent transfers with affiliated entity.
- Prevailed in arbitration for publicly traded REIT against earn-out claims connected to an acquisition.
- Representing a helicopter manufacturer in litigation arising from an accident in the Grand Canyon.
- Represent private equity fund and portfolio company in connection with earn-out related to purchase of portfolio company.
- Represented a private equity owned healthcare company in an earn-out dispute with its former owner in which we obtained a complete victory on behalf of the company.
- Represented private equity fund in bankruptcy and state court litigation alleging fraud and conspiracy in connection with investment in portfolio company.
- Represent technology companies in cutting edge data privacy related litigation and counseling, including on geo-location, facial recognition, and vendor management issues.
- Representing a hotel and gaming company in multi-jurisdiction (including bankruptcy) litigation alleging fraud and fraudulent transfers in connection with sale of hotel-condominiums.
- Representing a midstream energy company in litigation relating to the operations of a gas processing plant and in litigation alleging breach of a gas sale agreement.
- Representing general partner of real estate partnership in several litigation matters. Obtained a TRO on behalf of the general partner against a group of limited partners who were attempting to call a vote to replace the general partner in violation of the partnership agreement. Also represented the client in defeating a TRO brought by another limited partner in the partnership.
- Significant litigation and counseling experience involving valuation of derivatives contracts and the effect of bankruptcy on such agreements.
Rob was recognized as a “Rising Star” for Business Litigation in Texas Super Lawyers/Texas Monthly from 2009 – 2018. In addition, the Anti-Defamation League named him the 2013 Recipient of the Daniel R. Ginsberg Leadership Award and Disability Rights Texas gave him the 2013 Pro Bono Award.
Rob serves as the chair of the office pro bono committee and regularly handles pro bono matters, including a significant class action against the State of Texas concerning the treatment and institutionalization of people with disabilities. Rob also serves as a member of the regional board of the Anti-Defamation League.