Consumer electronics are often the most interesting, eye-catching and widespread electronic systems. By their very nature, consumer electronics are intended to energize people by providing new and convenient ways to communicate, view or listen to entertainment, or access and use information in all its myriad forms. From the slimmest, most advanced smartphone to the largest 3-D, web-enabled, high-definition flat screen television, consumer electronics are powerful tools, ubiquitous platforms and “must have” devices for productivity and leisure in the modern age. The size and breadth of the consumer electronics industry gives rise to a host of legal and business issues facing virtually every organization doing business throughout the world. We have advised and represented companies and entities along the supply chain in the consumer electronics world in a wide array of legal issues, from R&D, manufacturing and international trade, to distribution, branding, marketing, retailing and procurement, and beyond to product liability, environmental, regulatory and financial issues surrounding consumer electronics products. Today, we represent major consumer electronics brands and companies in the dynamic and ever-changing legal and business issues these clients face in nearly every aspect of their business.
We have particular experience with:
- Representing consumer electronics companies (including manufacturers, importers, retailers and designers of major cell phone, smartphone, digital television, PC/notebook, monitor and mobile electronics companies) in patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret infringement lawsuits in U.S. district courts nationwide;
- Representing our consumer electronics clients in Section 337 patent infringement investigations before the International Trade Commission, and related ancillary proceedings before Customs;
- Negotiating and drafting licensing deals for IP with an in-depth and detailed understanding of the technology used in consumer electronics, including patent licensing, standards licensing, and technology transfer agreements;
- Advising consumer electronics companies on IP portfolio development, IP claims, IP assets and due diligence for M&A transactions and asset transfer agreements; and
- Counseling consumer electronics clients in regulatory and administrative proceedings, including energy, environmental, cleantech, employment and antitrust issues, as well as representing consumer electronics clients’ interests before state, federal and international regulatory agencies.