JOSEPH MICHAELS is an associate in the firm’s Chicago office, where he is a member of the Corporate group. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions and corporate finance transactions. Joe also advises public and private companies regarding corporate governance, SEC disclosure, fiduciary duties and general corporate matters.
Joe has represented companies, private equity funds and investors across a wide range of industries in complex transactions, including public and private mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, investments and joint ventures. Recently he has represented:
- GE Capital in the sale of its Antares Capital sponsor finance lending platform to the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, a transaction valued at $12 billion
- NV Energy, Inc. in its sale to Berkshire Hathaway Energy, a transaction valued at $5.6 billion
- Cabela’s Incorporated in its sale to Bass Pro Group, LLC, a transaction with an aggregate value of $5.5 billion
- Kemper Corporation in its acquisition of Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation, a transaction valued at $1.6 billion
- Starwood Property Trust, Inc. in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of LNR Property LLC, a transaction valued at $1.1 billion
- Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. in multiple transactions, including its agreement to invest $1.0 billion in equity and convertible debt in VillageMD
- Churchill Downs Incorporated in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of Big Fish Games, Inc.
- Riot Blockchain, Inc. in its acquisition of Whinstone US, Inc.
- GE Aviation in multiple transactions, including its joint ventures with Praxair, Inc. and Woodward, Inc.
- Welltower Inc. in multiple transactions, including its joint venture with Cindat Capital Management Limited
- Dover Corporation in multiple transactions, including its sale of the Sargent Aerospace & Defense business to RBC Bearings Incorporated
- Smith & Nephew plc in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of Blue Belt Holdings, Inc.
- RoundTable Healthcare Partners and its portfolio companies in multiple transactions
- Thompson Street Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in multiple transactions
- LSC Communications, Inc. in multiple transactions
- Red Frog Events LLC in its joint venture with Goldenvoice, LLC
- Gusto Packing Co., Inc. in its sale to Butterball, LLC
Joe previously served as Assistant General Counsel of a Fortune 150 company, representing the company in its transactional, financing, securities and corporate governance matters.
Joe received his J.D. cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School, where he served as a Contributing Editor of the Michigan Law Review. Joe received his B.S. summa cum laude in Business Marketing from the University of Connecticut, where he served as captain and four-year letterwinner on the men’s varsity tennis team.