CHRISTOPHER LEE is a litigation partner in Chicago. His practice focuses on securities and shareholder claims, general commercial disputes, and investigations. Chris has represented individual and corporate clients in a wide range of proceedings in federal and state courts and in arbitrations across the country, including securities class actions, shareholder derivative litigation, M&A litigation, commodities and futures disputes, and general business disputes, particularly relating to software development and implementation. Chris has also represented clients in responding to government investigations and enforcement actions, and in conducting investigations, including for boards of directors and special committees. Chris’s representations frequently involve complex financial and economic issues, and he has substantial experience working with experts.
Chris has prevailed for clients at all stages of litigation. He has negotiated resolutions before litigation was filed. He has won on dispositive motions in both trial and appellate courts. And he has won at trial for both plaintiffs and defendants, including by obtaining an arbitration award in excess of $140 million that was confirmed, affirmed on appeal, and collected by the plaintiff, and by obtaining a complete defense trial victory where millions of dollars of damages were alleged.
Recent representative engagements include:
Securities and Shareholder Claims
- Represented a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical, medical device, and consumer goods company in connection with multiple shareholder demands, shareholder derivative litigation, a federal securities litigation, a books and records demand, and multiple investigations for the board of directors.
- Represented a Fortune 500 global manufacturer of personal care products and its officers in a federal securities litigation in both district and appellate courts.
- Represented a global medical device company and its officers in a federal securities litigation.
- Represented multiple companies in courts across the country in defense of shareholder challenges to mergers and acquisitions.
General Commercial Litigation and Investigations
- Represented a national insurance company in arbitration concerning a failed enterprise software implementation by a Fortune 500 software vendor.
- Advised a financial services firm in the termination of an underperforming systems integrator on an in-progress software implementation.
- Advised a national insurance company regarding claims relating to a failed software implementation project.
- Represented a global manufacturing company in an internal investigation into accounting practices.
- Represented corporate officers in defense of breach of contract and fraud claims relating to the sale of a company.
- Represented a large manufacturing company in adversary proceedings in federal bankruptcy court in defense of fraudulent transfer and preference claims.
Commodities and Futures Disputes and Investigations
- Represented a market-maker third-party witness in connection with a criminal trial involving alleged spoofing in the precious metals futures markets.
- Represented a futures brokerage firm in court and in arbitration concerning transactions on an international futures exchange.
- Represented a multinational banking and financial services company and its employees in an investigation conducted by a commodities derivative exchange, and a separate investigation conducted by the CFTC.
- Represented an energy brokerage firm and its broker in an investigation conducted by a commodities derivative exchange, an arbitration brought by the exchange, and a subsequent investigation and enforcement action brought by the CFTC.
Prior to joining the firm, Chris clerked for the Honorable John Z. Lee of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Prior to law school, Chris worked as a senior analyst at an economics and financial consulting firm that provides expert analysis to attorneys involved in commercial litigation.
Chris graduated magna cum laude from the Northwestern University School of Law, where he was an articles editor of the Northwestern University Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif. He earned his B.A., summa cum laude, from Boston College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Chris serves on the Chairman’s Advisory Council of the Big Shoulders Fund.