CHRISTOPHER LEE is an associate in the Litigation group in Chicago, and practices in the areas of securities and shareholder claims, general commercial litigation, particularly relating to software development and implementation disputes, and commodities and futures disputes and investigations. He has represented individual and corporate clients in a wide range of proceedings in federal and state courts and in arbitrations across the country, and has broad litigation experience, including examining and cross examining witnesses at trial, preparing witnesses for trial and deposition, working with experts, taking depositions, drafting dispositive motions and other briefs, and managing significant electronic discovery. Chris also has experience representing clients in responding to government investigations and enforcement actions, and conducting internal investigations.
Recent representative matters include:
Securities and Shareholder Claims
- Represented a global medical device, pharmaceutical, and consumer goods manufacturing company in connection with multiple shareholder demands, shareholder derivative litigation, a books and records demand and multiple investigations for the board of directors.
- Represented a global manufacturer of personal care products and its officers in a federal securities litigation in both district and appellate courts.
- Represented a global medical device company and its officers in a federal securities litigation.
- Represented multiple companies in courts across the country in defense of shareholder challenges to mergers and acquisitions.
General Commercial Litigation and Investigations
- Represented a major insurance company in arbitration concerning a failed enterprise software implementation by a major software vendor.
- Advised a financial services firm in the termination of an underperforming systems integrator on an in-progress software implementation.
- Advised a major insurance company regarding claims relating to a failed software implementation project.
- Represented a global manufacturing company in an internal investigation into accounting practices.
- Represented corporate officers in defense of breach of contract and fraud claims relating to the sale of a company.
- Represented a large manufacturing company in adversary proceedings in federal bankruptcy court in defense of fraudulent transfer and preference claims.
Commodities and Futures Disputes and Investigations
- Represented a futures brokerage firm in court and in arbitration concerning transactions on an international futures exchange.
- Represented a multi-national banking and financial services company and its employees in an investigation conducted by a commodities derivative exchange, and a separate investigation conducted by the CFTC.
- Represented an energy brokerage firm and its broker in an investigation conducted by a commodities derivative exchange, an arbitration brought by the exchange, and a subsequent investigation and enforcement action brought by the CFTC.
Prior to joining the firm, Chris clerked for the Honorable John Z. Lee of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Prior to law school, Chris worked as a senior analyst at an economics and financial consulting firm that provides expert analysis to attorneys involved in commercial litigation.
Chris graduated magna cum laude from the Northwestern University School of Law where he was an Articles Editor of the Northwestern University Law Review and was elected to Order of the Coif. He earned his B.A., summa cum laude, from Boston College where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Chris serves on the Chairman’s Advisory Council of the Big Shoulders Fund.