ASHER RUBIN focuses his practice on the life sciences and healthcare industries, working with clients on complex licensing agreements, joint ventures, collaborations, capital markets raising transactions, including private and public offerings, M&A, and structured finance arrangements. With more than 20 years of experience in the life sciences industry, he has handled transactions involving some of the most innovative technologies in the life sciences industry, including CAR-T therapies, checkpoint inhibitors, co-stimulatory proteins, companion diagnostics, digital health technologies, ultra-orphan drugs, and gene therapies. Prior to joining Sidley, Asher was a partner at another global law firm where he led the Life Sciences and Healthcare industry team for more than 10 years. Asher also served as in-house counsel and ultimately general counsel of a publicly traded, fully integrated pharmaceutical company.
Asher represents both private and publicly traded businesses, emerging companies, academic medical centers, inventors, and venture capital and private equity funds in a wide variety of transactions. He has comprehensive knowledge of the full spectrum of the life sciences sector: pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, medical technology, digital health, and health services. Asher has successfully negotiated and completed a range of life sciences transactions, with a particular focus on complex collaborative arrangements. Additionally, he regularly advises clients on venture capital financings, initial public offerings, follow-on financings, mergers and acquisitions, licensing transactions, joint ventures, co-promotion agreements, manufacturing arrangements, royalty financing transactions, structured finance arrangements, and sponsored research agreements.
Asher provides practical guidance to CEOs, CFOs, GCs, and other executives on their everyday legal matters, which include board governance, compensation, and employment matters. He regularly serves as a senior advisor to in-house counsel and as an outside general counsel for clients with limited in-house resources.
Asher is frequently recognized by his peers, as well as in numerous industry publications, including The Legal 500 (2012–2020), LMG Life Sciences (2012–2023), Chambers Global for Life Sciences: Corporate/Commercial (USA) (2020–2023), and Chambers USA for Life Sciences: Corporate/Commercial (2016-2023), where clients noted that “Asher is highly attentive and responsive to the team and shows a clear mastery of business issues.” Clients also noted that Asher is “really thorough, very practical and knows how to get deals done efficiently.”
- Life Sciences Thought Leader, Who's Who Legal, 2023
- Life Sciences: Corporate/Commercial (USA), Chambers Global, 2020–2023
- Corporate/M&A (Maryland), Chambers USA, 2017–2023
- Life Sciences: Corporate/Commercial (Nationwide), Chambers USA, 2016–2023
- Industry focus: Healthcare: life sciences, Recommended, Legal 500 US, 2020
- Healthcare: Life Sciences, Hall of Fame, Legal 500 US, 2018–2020
- Healthcare: Life Sciences, Leading Lawyer, Legal 500 US, 2012–2020
- Mergers & Acquisitions Law, The Best Lawyers in America, 2021
- Acritas Star, Acritas Stars Independently Rated Lawyers, 2017–2020
- “Life Sciences Star,” LMG Life Sciences, 2012–2023
- Business/Corporate (Maryland), Super Lawyers, 2021