KRISTEN SEEGER is the co-leader of the firm’s global Commercial Litigation and Disputes practice and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. She focuses her practice on the successful resolution of shareholder-related disputes, including shareholder demands, derivative litigation, and securities class actions; complex commercial disputes; and the defense of SEC enforcement matters. She is ranked in Chambers, which states that she “excels in shareholder derivative and securities fraud disputes”, and recognized by The Legal 500 as an “outstanding lawyer” in the area of securities and shareholder litigation. Crain’s Chicago Business named her a Notable Gen X Leader in Law in 2021, and one of its Notable Women in Law in 2022. Kristen has provided critical advice to some of the world’s leading companies as they respond to shareholder demands and government investigations, and she conducts investigations for boards and special committees on high-profile and sensitive matters. She has successfully defended corporations, officers and directors, financial institutions, and accounting firms in complex, high-stakes litigation in courts throughout the country.
Kristen has extensive experience advising clients in crisis litigation arising from business events that have resulted in negative publicity and financial impact, and in sensitive pre-litigation and litigation contexts resulting from business challenges or underlying government enforcement actions. Kristen also is a skilled negotiator who achieves favorable settlements in complicated cases and government investigations.
Kristen is deeply involved in both firm and civic life. Within Sidley, Kristen is Chicago co-chair of the firm’s Committee for the Evaluation and Compensation of Associates, serves on the firm’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee, and previously served as deputy head of the 100+ lawyer Litigation group in Chicago. She serves on the board of the American Red Cross of Greater Chicago, and is the past board chair and current emeritus board member of Mujeres Latinas en Acción. Kristen also is a Leadership Greater Chicago Fellow, and a member of the Chief network of senior women executives.
Recent representative engagements include:
- Advising multiple corporations as they respond to shareholder demands and conduct special committee and board investigations.
- Representing multiple clients in ongoing non-public SEC investigations.
- Conducting investigations for special committees and boards of directors.
- Advising clients in sensitive and high-profile pre-litigation situations.
- Representing global life sciences company in defense of securities fraud and shareholder derivative litigation in the District of New Jersey and New Jersey state court.
- Representing global retail pharmacy company in defense of securities fraud and shareholder derivative litigation in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Representing global retail pharmacy company in shareholder derivative litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery, as well as on appeal to the Supreme Court of Delaware.
- Representing trading firm in VIX Manipulation MDL in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Representing public company bringing a breach of contract claim against a counterparty in the District of Delaware.
- Representing corporations, directors, and officers in M&A litigation in courts around the country.
- Representing global life sciences company in defense of shareholder derivative litigation in the District of New Jersey and New Jersey state court, as well as on appeal to the Third Circuit.
- Representing multinational quick service restaurant company in defense of federal securities litigation and shareholder derivative litigation in the Western District of Kentucky and Kentucky state court.
- Representing Big Four professional services firm in defense of federal securities litigation in the Southern District of New York, as well as on appeal to the Second Circuit.
Kristen also has successfully defended accounting firms in securities class actions and professional liability cases, and represents clients in connection with other commercial litigation and disputes. These matters have involved a broad range of accounting and disclosure issues, including issues related to public company disclosures, Reg FD, projections, restatements, loan loss reserves, the recording of impairment charges, allowances for doubtful accounts, revenue recognition, executive compensation and internal controls.