LIZ AUSTIN is a business-focused lawyer with significant experience in the area of federal securities class actions, shareholder derivative suits, shareholder M&A litigation, M&A post-closing disputes, and class action and ERISA matters. Her practice focuses on representing public companies, corporate officers and boards of directors, and major insurers in complex litigation and regulatory matters. She has earned impressive and consistent results for individual and corporate clients in federal and state court, as well as in regulatory agency proceedings.
Liz’s representative matters include:
- Representation of money transfer company in securities class action filed in the District of Colorado in the wake of company’s entry into a deferred prosecution agreement. Case dismissed and dismissal affirmed by the Tenth Circuit.
- Representation of multinational photography and imaging company in successfully appealing preliminary injunction orders previously entered in connection with a merger transaction and prosecuting a lawsuit against former merger partner seeking more than $1 billion for breaching its obligations in connection with that transaction.
- Representation of the leading global manufacturer of construction and mining equipment in defense of state and federal shareholder claims.
- Representation of telecommunications services provider and its directors in defense of shareholder challenges to its acquisition by a private equity firm.
- Representation of a leading manufacturer of coffeemakers and producer of specialty coffee in expedited merger litigation in the Delaware Chancery Court.
Prior to joining the firm, Liz clerked for the Honorable Frank H. Easterbrook of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. She received her J.D. with Honors from the University of Chicago Law School, where she served as Executive Articles Editor of the Law Review. She holds both an A.M. and an A.B. with General and Departmental honors from the University of Chicago.