SCOTT BASS heads the firm’s Global Life Sciences team, coordinating pharmaceutical, medical device, food and dietary supplement matters in the United States, Europe and Asia. He is ranked internationally among the top authorities on FDA-related enforcement and regulatory issues, and has led audits and investigations involving off-label promotion, pharmacovigilance, PDMA, GMP, and fraud and abuse issues, as well as DEA and FTC matters. Scott has also acted as an expert on an EU Commission panel, an advisor on new China drug and device legislation and as an adviser on an FDA dietary supplement website.
Scott has represented such companies as Bayer, Genentech, Colgate Palmolive, Allergan, Novartis, Cargill, Herbalife and Roche in a number of regulatory or enforcement matters. His experience includes:
- Establishing the firm’s stand-alone comprehensive life sciences practices in Brussels, Switzerland and China
- Leading many of the firm’s FDA/healthcare investigations and audits for high-profile life sciences companies
- Advising pharmaceutical, biological, medical device and food clients on Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and Quality System Regulation (QSR) matters across three continents
- Advising the Shanghai Institute for Food and Drug Safety in China on the formulation of new drug and device laws
- Leading dietary supplement and functional food analyses for top multinational companies
- Teaching GMP training in China
Scott’s work defending and advising clients and governments has earned him a leading status in numerous industry publications. According to Chambers USA, “The ‘phenomenal’ Scott Bass leads the firm’s global life sciences group and is recognized for his strengths in the regulatory enforcement sphere, routinely handling investigations involving off-label promotion, fraud and abuse, and pharmacovigilance.” Clients say: “He is very available, very experienced and gives very wise advice.” Chambers previously reported that: he “wins plaudits for being ‘highly responsive to client needs,’” and has “a lot of depth in good manufacturing practices and international law.” He is recognized in Chambers Global 2020 in the category of Life Sciences: Regulatory/Compliance; is listed as one of The Best Lawyers in America in FDA Law (2013–2020 editions); is “regarded as one of the pre-eminent authorities on FDA enforcement” by Who’s Who Legal; was recommended in the “Healthcare: Life Sciences” category in The Legal 500 US 2013 and 2017 and was named an “Outstanding Advisor” by the same publication. Scott was ranked in both the “Government Enforcement and Investigation” and “Regulatory” categories in PLC’s surveys of leading Life Sciences lawyers worldwide, since 2006.
On several occasions, BTI Consulting, on the basis of a survey of Fortune 1000 companies, has named Scott as a member of the BTI Client Service All-Star Team for law firms. In addition, he is recognized in the 2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences, and as a Local Litigation Star in Benchmark Litigation for 2020.