MICHELLE RAMIREZ is a litigator in Sidley’s Chicago office and a member of the Products Liability & Mass Torts Litigation group. She has a diverse range of experience representing and advising medical device, pharmaceutical, manufacturing and consumer goods clients in complex product liability and commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts, including multi-district litigation. In this regard, she counsels clients at every stage of the litigation process, from case management and discovery strategy, dispositive motions and depositions through fact and expert witness preparation, mediation, trial and appeal. In addition, she advises clients on a number of e-discovery risks and obligations and guides clients through all phases of discovery.
- Counsel for a major medical device company in products liability litigation involving allegations of manufacturing and design defect in state and federal courts.
- Member of a trial team involving alleged chemical exposure and birth defects leading to a defense verdict in the Circuit Court of Cook County for a manufacturing client.
- Defense counsel for a pharmaceutical distributor in a multi-million dollar breach of contract dispute pending in Kentucky state court.
- Defense counsel for a medical device manufacturer in product liability litigation in state court involving antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- Counsel for a major pharmaceutical company in antitrust class action litigation involving allegations of filing a citizen petition with FDA to delay generic entry.
In addition, Michelle maintains a robust pro bono practice. Working with the National Immigrant Justice Center (NIJC), Michelle was part of a team that prevailed in three separate habeas corpus lawsuits and obtained the release of three individuals with underlying medical conditions held by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at the Jerome Combs Detention Center in Kankakee, Illinois amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. She was also part of a team that successfully obtained asylum for a young Central American immigrant who fled his home country because of persecution, and regularly tries cases in municipal court for pro bono clients and obtained a trial verdict for a client in a breach of contract dispute. Prior to joining the firm, Michelle represented survivors of domestic violence in a variety of civil litigation matters in state court, including emergency and temporary orders of protection, child custody hearings and child support litigation.
In 2019, Euromoney LMG named Michelle “Best in Product Liability” at their annual Rising Stars Awards.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2009 (with high distinction, Order of the Coif)
- University of Nevada - Las Vegas, M.Ed., 2006 (Phi Beta Kappa)
- University of Wisconsin, B.A., 2004 (Dean's List)