SHERI PORATH ROCKWELL focuses on privacy and cybersecurity law, as well as complex commercial litigation. She advises companies on privacy compliance and corporate data protection programs, including compliance with federal and state privacy laws, and is a member of Sidley’s CCPA Litigation Task Force, a dedicated group of lawyers focused on the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), counseling clients on how to mitigate litigation risks. Sheri regularly counsels businesses about compliance with the CCPA, as well as other state and federal privacy laws. She is an IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional/U.S. and regularly blogs and delivers presentations regarding emerging domestic privacy law. Sheri is an appointed member of the California Lawyers Association’s Antitrust, UCL and Privacy Executive Committee.
Sheri has experience litigating a variety of complex commercial matters including copyright, trademark and right of publicity actions, commercial class actions, complex real estate actions and contract disputes. She has litigated in federal and state court and in arbitration and mediation settings. Additionally, Sheri has successfully negotiated with state and federal regulators to avert and settle administrative proceedings.
Some of Sheri’s recent privacy engagements include:
- Advising companies on CCPA and its interplay with GDPR, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, HIPAA and state data privacy laws
- Developing state data privacy compliance policies and preparedness programs
- Drafting privacy policies and terms and conditions
- Assisting clients with data breach and cybersecurity incidents
- Performing due diligence for mergers related to data security and privacy risks
- Evaluating employee social media platforms and compliance with FTC and other data privacy laws
Prior to joining Sidley, Sheri served as General Counsel and Vice President of Operations for a national affordable housing property management company. In that capacity, she managed outside counsel in federal and state court actions and in administrative proceedings, oversaw employee counseling and terminations, developed regulatory compliance policies. Previously, Sheri practiced at a prominent entertainment and real estate law firm in Los Angeles.
After graduating with honors from U.C. Berkeley, Sheri earned her J.D. from the University of Southern California School of Law where she served as topic editor for the Hale Moot Court Honors Board and received the Shattuck Award which recognizes top students who have made outstanding contributions to public service, student programs or general quality of life at the law school. Before beginning her practice, Sheri clerked for U.S. District Court Judge George P. Kazen in the Southern District of Texas.
Sheri is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, C.D. of California
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D., 1992 (Moot Court Honors Program)
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., 1987 (with honors)
- George P. Kazen, U.S. District Court, S.D. of Texas (1992 - 1993)