ADAM RUNCORN’s practice focuses on advising European and international private equity sponsors and other investors on cross-border corporate and M&A transactions, including leveraged buyouts, strategic mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, structured and minority equity investments, equity and debt restructurings, and management equity plans, as well as related advisory work.
He has experience in advising clients on investments in a broad range of sectors, including financial services, technology, entertainment, sports and media, manufacturing and industrials, healthcare, and retail.
Adam is a past assistant member of the Legal and Technical Committee of the British Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (BVCA), the industry body and public policy advocate for the private equity and venture capital industry in the UK.
Recent examples of Adam’s work include representing:
- Clearlake Capital Group, L.P. in its acquisition of Chelsea Football Club and related affiliates in a consortium co-led with Todd Boehly, Chairman and CEO of Eldridge. The acquisition was named “Private Equity Deal of the Year” at The Deal Awards 2022.
- EQT Private Equity and PRO Unlimited in it's acquisition of outsourced workforce management provider Geometric Results, Inc.
- Great Hill Partners in connection with its acquisition of Notonthehighstreet, a UK-curated online marketplace.
- TowerBrook Capital Partners in its sale of and re-investment in Independent Clinical Services Group to Onex Corporation.
- The ad hoc creditor committee in its €450 million debt and equity restructuring of the French-headquartered trucks leasing business, Fraikin Group.
Adam has received acknowledgment from numerous industry ranking guides:
- The Legal 500 UK 2024 – Recommended for “Private Equity: Mid-Market Deals” where he is described a “Key standout partner… whose transactional pedigree sees him working on high-profile deals in the sports, tech, and professional services sectors.”
- Law.com International – Named to 2023 “Private Equity Rising Stars: The Best Up-and-Coming Lawyers in the UK and Europe” list where he is described as “A leader from the start. His analytical skills and impeccable judgment distinguish him from many of his peers…. As a consequence, he leads on many of our most complex, multijurisdictional transactions.”
- IFLR Europe Awards 2023 – Clearlake Capital Group, L.P.’s acquisition of Chelsea Football Club named “Private Equity Deal of the Year.”
- MergerLinks 2023 – Named “Rising Star” list, which recognizes the top 30 young lawyers most active on UK Private Equity deals in 2023.
- The Legal 500 UK 2023 – Recommended for “Private Equity: Mid-Market Deals” where clients commented “he is a fantastic rising star, great mastery of both the legal and commercial side.”
- The Deal Awards 2022 – Clearlake Capital Group, L.P.’s acquisition of Chelsea Football Club named “Private Equity Deal of the Year.”
- Law.com International 2022 – Named “Private Equity Rising Stars: The Best Up-and-Coming Lawyers in the UK and Europe” list where he is described as “meticulous, hardworking, poised, and displays impeccable judgment.”
- Law.com International 2020 – Named “Private Equity Rising Stars: The Best Up-and-Coming Lawyers in the UK and Europe” list where he is described as “indispensable.”
- IFLR Rising Stars Awards Europe 2020 – Awarded “Rising Star for Corporate/M&A.”
- Euromoney Legal Media Group 2019 – Awarded “Rising Star M&A/Private Equity.”
- Euromoney Legal Media Group 2019 – Awarded “Rising Star UK.”
Adam is a member of the London Private Equity practice that was honored as “Private Equity Team of the Year” in the 2021 Legal Business Awards, and was “Highly Commended” in the “Private Equity Team of the Year” category at the 2023 Legal Business Awards.
Prior to joining Sidley, Adam was a member of the Private Equity team of another international law firm, where he practiced in London and New York.