IKE ADAMS represents a wide variety of clients in investigations and enforcement actions by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and other law enforcement authorities. He is a member of the White Collar: Government Litigation and Investigations practice, and the Securities Enforcement and Regulatory practice, which received the 2019 Chambers USA Award for Financial Services Regulation, and was named the “Law Firm of the Year” for Securities Regulation in 2020 and 2017 by U.S. News – Best Lawyers. Ike has handled matters involving, among other things, alleged securities fraud, bank fraud, insider trading, accounting fraud, financial reporting and disclosure issues, auditor independence, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, export controls, economic sanctions, and investment adviser and broker-dealer misconduct.
Ike’s current and recent representations include:
- Defending a U.S.-based multinational company in a federal grand jury investigation involving allegations of financial reporting and tax fraud.
- Defending and obtaining a declination for a Fortune 100 public company in an SEC investigation of accounting and disclosure issues related to accounting for income taxes.
- Defending and obtaining a declination for a Fortune 100 public company in an SEC investigation of accounting and disclosure issues related to the goodwill arising from a recent acquisition.
- Defending a multinational manufacturer in a BIS investigation involving allegations of fraud in export activities.
- Defending a Fortune 100 company in an OFAC investigation involving Iranian, Sudanese, and Syrian sanctions.
- Defending and obtaining a declination for a multinational public company in an SEC investigation arising from whistleblower allegations of possible FCPA violations in Kazakhstan.
- Representing a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in SEC and DOJ investigations involving possible FCPA violations in 35 countries.
- In the Matter of Guggenheim Partners Investment Management, LLC—Representing a registered investment adviser in an SEC investigation of alleged violations of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
- SEC v. Smith & Nephew plc / United States v. Smith & Nephew, Inc.—Defending a medical device manufacturer in FCPA investigation by SEC and DOJ.
- In re Parmalat Securities Litigation—Representing Bank of America in a multi-district litigation proceeding stemming from the collapse of the Italian dairy company Parmalat.
In addition to his work on regulatory enforcement matters and litigation, Ike conducts internal reviews and investigations involving allegations of criminal, civil and ethical misconduct.
He has significant experience counseling clients on a wide range of FCPA and anticorruption compliance issues. In this regard, he develops and implements effective compliance programs, conducts assessments of FCPA and anticorruption risks, and advises on FCPA and anticorruption issues in mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures.
Ike also has experience with complex electronic discovery, cross-border discovery, and data privacy. He counsels clients on how to efficiently and effectively manage e-discovery risks and obligations and assists clients in developing policies and protocols to satisfy U.S. discovery obligations in view of foreign data protection laws.
Ike joined the firm following a clerkship with Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.