HEIDI LEVINE is a global co-leader of the Product Liability and Mass Torts practice, member of the firm’s Executive Committee, serves on Sidley’s Global Life Sciences Leadership Council, and is a firmwide co-chair of the firm’s women’s initiative. She has defended companies in a wide variety of product liability and mass tort litigation involving pharmaceutical drugs, medical devices, environmental toxic torts, and other products. Heidi also advises clients on risk management, analysis and prevention, as well as conducts pre-litigation assessments and due diligence.
Heidi most often acts as lead national litigation counsel in the mass tort context, representing clients in federal actions, typically in multidistrict litigation proceedings, as well as in coordinated state court actions and related litigation outside the U.S. As national counsel, Heidi formulates and implements the pre-trial, trial and/or end-game strategy with her clients and leads the strategy on all other aspects of the engagement, including coordination relating to regulatory, patent, and business issues. Heidi also has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution, designing and implementing innovative resolution programs for companies faced with complex litigation.
Advocacy on behalf of clients has earned Heidi notable awards and acknowledgement in numerous industry publications, including:
- From 2017–2023, Heidi has been recognized by Chambers USA in nationwide Product Liability & Mass Torts. Sources in the 2023 edition note that they “would trust her with any matter. She's super responsive, smart, quick on her feet and has a unique ability to get along with people." In 2020, Heidi was described as “a tenacious litigator — if you have her in your corner, you can't go wrong,” and a “standout lawyer” who is “very highly respected by her clients, who trust and value her advice and recommendations” and is “very skilled.”
- Heidi was named to the 2023 Crain’s New York Business “Notable Women in Law” list, featuring women from across the legal industry whose work reaches beyond the clients they serve.
- In 2023, Heidi was shortlisted for the “Product Liability Lawyer of the Year” award by Women in Business Law Americas, which celebrates women lawyers who have developed strong and innovative practices.
- In 2022, Heidi was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America for her work in Product Liability Litigation – Defendants.
- In 2021 and 2023, LMG Life Sciences shortlisted Heidi for the Americas Awards as “Product Liability Attorney of the Year.”
- In 2017, Heidi received the University of Baltimore School of Law’s “Byron Warnken Distinguished Alumni Award.”
- In 2017 and 2009, The Legal 500 US cited Heidi as a recommended lawyer.
- In 2011, The American Lawyer named Heidi to its “45 under 45” list of “The Top Young Women of the AmLaw 200.”
- In 2014, Heidi received the National Organization of Women’s “Women of Power & Influence Award.”
- In 2013, Heidi was honored by the Women’s Venture Fund with the “Highest Leaf Award,” celebrating “trailblazing women business executives who have shown outstanding leadership and commitment to their respective industries and other women.”
- In 2010, Law360 named Heidi among its “10 Product Liability Lawyers to Watch,” commenting that she “has played a leading role in defending several major pharmaceutical companies in mass torts.”
- From 2009–2023, Heidi has been recognized in the Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences, Product Liability Lawyers. She is also listed in Who’s Who Legal: Product Liability Defence 2023.
- From 2012–2023, Heidi has been named a “Life Sciences Star” for Product Liability in Euromoney’s Institutional Investor’s LMG Life Sciences, non-IP Litigation section.
- Lawyer Monthly “Women in Law 2014 Award” in recognition of work in the Life Sciences sector.
- Honored in Euromoney’s Product Liability section of the Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law, every year since 2013.
- From 2009–2022, Heidi has been recognized as a New York “Super Lawyer” for personal injury defense.