HEIDI LEVINE is a global co-leader of Sidley’s Product Liability and Mass Torts practice. She has defended companies in a wide variety of product liability and mass tort litigation involving pharmaceutical drugs, medical devices, environmental toxic torts and other products. Heidi also advises clients on risk management, analysis and prevention, as well as conducts pre-litigation assessments and due diligence.
Heidi most often acts as lead national litigation counsel in the mass tort context, representing clients in federal actions, typically in multidistrict litigation proceedings, as well as in coordinated state court actions and related litigation outside the U.S. As national counsel, Heidi formulates and implements the pre-trial, trial and/or end-game strategy with her clients and leads the strategy on all other aspects of the engagement, including coordination relating to regulatory, patent and business issues. Heidi also has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution, designing and implementing innovative resolution programs for companies faced with complex litigation.
Heidi is a member of Sidley’s Global Life Sciences Leadership Council and the firm’s COVID-19 Task Force.
Advocacy on behalf of clients has earned Heidi notable awards and acknowledgement in numerous industry publications, including:
- In 2022, Heidi was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America for her work in Product Liability Litigation – Defendants.
- From 2017–2021, Heidi has been recognized by Chambers USA in nationwide Product Liability & Mass Torts. Sources in the 2020 edition describe Heidi as “a tenacious litigator — if you have her in your corner you can't go wrong,” and a “standout lawyer” who is “very highly respected by her clients, who trust and value her advice and recommendations” and is “very skilled.” Sources in the 2018 edition describe Heidi as “‘a really deep, strategic thinker, and a pleasure to work with.’”
- In 2021, LMG Life Sciences shortlisted Heidi for the Americas Awards as “Product Liability Attorney of the Year.”
- In 2017, Heidi received the University of Baltimore School of Law’s “Byron Warnken Distinguished Alumni Award.”
- In 2017 and 2009, The Legal 500 US cited Heidi as a recommended lawyer.
- In 2011, The American Lawyer named Heidi to its “45 under 45” list of “The Top Young Women of the AmLaw 200.”
- In 2014, Heidi received the National Organization of Women’s “Women of Power & Influence Award.”
- In 2013, Heidi was honored by the Women’s Venture Fund with the “Highest Leaf Award,” celebrating “trailblazing women business executives who have shown outstanding leadership and commitment to their respective industries and other women.”
- In 2010, Law360 named Heidi among its “10 Product Liability Lawyers to Watch,” commenting that she “has played a leading role in defending several major pharmaceutical companies in mass torts.”
- From 2009–2021, Heidi has been recognized in the Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences, Product Liability Lawyers.
- From 2012–2020, Heidi has been named a “Life Sciences Star” in Euromoney’s Institutional Investor’s LMG Life Sciences, non-IP Litigation section.
- Lawyer Monthly “Women in Law 2014 Award” in recognition of work in the Life Sciences sector.
- Honored in Euromoney’s Product Liability section of the Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law, every year since 2013.
- From 2009–2020, Heidi has been recognized as a New York “Super Lawyer” for personal injury defense.