MATTHEW SHANKLAND is head of Sidley’s London-based Disputes Resolution practice, a co-leader of the firmwide Commercial Litigation and Disputes practice group, and the chairman of the London Office Pro Bono Committee. He is a Barrister and Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts) with 25 years of experience representing clients in complex high-stakes disputes and investigations.
Matthew’s practice encompasses a broad spectrum of corporate and commercial cases conducted in the higher courts of England, the European Courts, before international arbitration tribunals, and the courts of many other jurisdictions around the world (particularly those of the Caribbean). He is retained by leading banks and financial institutions, hedge funds, private equity funds, and large corporates. Regulatory matters have formed a major part of his practice, and he has led cases involving investigations and inquiries by the SFO, FSA, ICO, the Pensions Regulator, and various United States regulators and law enforcement agencies.
His subject matter experience extends across banking and derivatives, structured finance, share sale and shareholder agreements (especially warranty disputes), leveraged finance arrangements, security enforcement, company directors’ duties and shareholder rights, taxation, pharmaceutical and technology licensing contracts, international sale and purchase agreements, and government intervention in financial markets.
He has considerable experience in applications for cross-border injunctive relief and enforcement of judgments and awards in multiple jurisdictions. In the decade following the 2008 financial crisis, Matthew was involved in several of the most important English cases concerning structured finance and derivatives transactions, running multiple matters concerning ISDA and LMA terms, credit-linked note programs, and CDOs. Having been instrumental in the English and European asset recovery and protection programs for some of the largest estates of the last 20 years (including Lehman Brothers and Kaupthing Bank), Matthew has market-leading experience in disputes associated with complex cross-border structures and the insolvency of major corporate and financial institutions.
Matthew has received acknowledgment from numerous industry ranking guides:
- Chambers UK 2024 – Ranked in Banking Litigation, where sources note “Matt’s intelligence is second to none; he has the ability to cut through a large volume of material and distill that to something that is understandable is exceptional . He is our go-to litigator.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2024 – Recognized as a “Leading Individual” for Commercial Litigation: Premium. He is also recommended for Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail where sources note, ‘Matt Shankland is a senior partner and hugely experienced.”
- Chambers UK 2023 – Ranked as Notable Practitioner, where sources say “Matthew is an exceptional partner providing outstanding leadership in complex disputes and ensuring that all elements of the team deliver the best possible results for his clients.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2023 – Recognized as “Leading Individual” for Banking Litigation and Commercial Litigation: Premium.
- Chambers UK 2022 – Ranked for Banking Litigation.
- The Legal 500 UK 2022 – Recognized as “Leading Individual” for Banking Litigation and Commercial Litigation: Premium, with clients describing him as a “star litigator.”
- Chambers UK 2021 – Ranked for Banking Litigation, where sources described him as “a really strong lawyer who cuts straight through things and inspires confidence.”
- Chambers UK 2020 – Ranked for Banking Litigation, clients told the publication he is “superb technically” and “able to think through complex problems, deliver clear and concise advice and identify effective commercial solutions.”