ALEXI PORETZ is a partner in the New York office of Sidley’s Insurance and Financial Services group. Alexi has broad experience representing U.S. and non-U.S. clients in connection with an array of complex financing, merger and acquisition and other types of transactions that often involve a cross-border component.
A core element of Alexi’s practice involves him working with clients to develop, structure, negotiate and document transactions that feature an intersection of insurance and structured finance know-how and techniques. Alexi’s experience includes the following recent representations, among others:
- A global investment bank in connection with its hedging of exposure to a portfolio of structured securities through a combination of bespoke insurance and swap instruments.
- A Bermuda-domiciled insurance company in connection with its issuance of a non-payment insurance policy to a lender for purposes of providing the lender with a committed form of risk participation as it makes future loans.
- A global investment bank in connection with its procurement of a number of highly structured insurance policies for regulatory capital purposes.
- Lenders in more than 10 transactions providing financing for an investor’s capital commitment to a private equity fund, together with an associated insurance and reinsurance credit enhancement overlay.
- Deal counsel in connection with the repackaging of insurance company investments into rated notes.
Alexi has also regularly represented clients for more than 10 years in connection with the life settlement asset class, and more broadly with transactions involving the transfer of longevity and mortality exposure for investment purposes. His engagements in this area include the following:
- An asset manager in connection with the structuring and establishment of several large offshore life settlement funds and the funds’ related acquisitions of multiple portfolios of life settlement assets.
- A lender in connection with a life settlement financing facility of more than $650 million.
- An investment fund’s entry into a longevity swap transaction.
- A lender in its disposition of a portfolio of outstanding life insurance premium finance loans.
- A purchaser of multiple portfolios of life settlement assets from the Mutual Benefits Corp. receivership estate under the administration of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Alexi attended The George Washington University Law School, where he was a member of The George Washington Law Review.