MONIKA ZDZIEBORSKA focuses on various aspects of EU and UK competition law, including dominance, cartels, co-operation and distribution agreements, and merger control. She regularly represents clients in proceedings before the Court of Justice of the European Union and in investigations by the European Commission, the UK Competition Market Authority, and the UK Financial Conduct Authority.
Monika focuses in particular on the tech sector. She regularly advises clients on antitrust issues relating to digital platforms, online media, e-commerce, AI, and new technologies. Monika also has extensive experience representing clients in a variety of other sectors, including payments, pharmaceuticals, and transport.
Recent examples of Monika’s work include advising:
- A number of tech and telecom companies on matters relating to the proposed EU Digital Markets Act and the UK’s new pro-competition regime for digital markets.
- A multinational telecommunications company in relation to several ongoing investigations by the European Commission, national competition authorities, and the UK’s CMA into Google’s ad tech practices and ‘Privacy Sandbox’ proposals.
- A multinational e-commerce company in the European Commission’s competition law investigation into Google Shopping and in its intervention before the General Court in the Google Shopping appeal. In recognition of this work, Sidley was named “Competition & Regulatory Team of the Year” at the 2018 The Lawyer Awards.
- A global technology company in relation to a European Commission investigation of the company’s alleged abuse of dominance, including by engaging in allegedly abusive self-preferencing practices.
- A global online social media platform on various competition law issues, including data-related aspects of EU competition policy.
- A multinational e-commerce company on matters relating to the European Commission’s e-commerce sector inquiry and the application of EU competition law to online marketplace bans.
Monika has recently obtained a Distinction in the EU Competition Law Diploma at King’s College London and completed an Executive Course on Advanced EU Competition Law at the London School of Economics.