JIM DUCAYET is a co-head of the firm’s Securities and Shareholder Litigation practice. He regularly advises public and private companies, corporate boards and individual directors and officers in high-stakes litigation, corporate governance and disclosure matters, and government and internal investigations.
Jim is an experienced commercial litigator with a particular focus on corporate and securities litigation, derivative litigation, internal investigations, regulatory matters and complex bankruptcy and financial litigation. He is a skilled advocate who has successfully litigated numerous corporate transaction matters, securities class actions and breach of fiduciary duty claims in federal and state trial and appellate courts around the country. Jim has also handled a range of regulatory investigations, including investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Department of Justice.
The high quality of Jim’s work has earned him recognition in several legal industry publications. In 2019, Chambers ranked Jim in the top tier of their Litigation: Securities – Illinois category, saying he is recognized as a “highly credible name” and is described as a “solid, experienced securities litigator. He’s very good in a large joint defense group and at managing big cases to successful outcomes.” The Legal 500 says clients describe Jim as an “all-round great litigator” who “ensures all pieces of a defense strategy fit together” (2014–2017).
Jim is a global co-head of the firm’s Committee on Compensation and Evaluation of Associates. In addition, Jim is actively involved in the firm’s pro bono activities and serves on the board of Center for Independent Futures, an organization that helps individuals with disabilities through community living options, personal networks and lifelong planning and education.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, M.D. of Florida
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of Wisconsin
- New York
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1994 (magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Senior Articles Editor, New York University Law Review)
- The University of Chicago, B.A., 1991 (with honors, Phi Beta Kappa)
- Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum, U.S. District Court, S.D. of New York (1994 - 1995)