GEETA MALHOTRA is a litigation partner in the firm’s Chicago office. Her practice involves representing individual and corporate clients in white collar criminal matters, internal investigations, government enforcement actions, cybersecurity matters and complex civil litigation.
Geeta has extensive experience conducting complex internal investigations on a variety of matters, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), fraud and bribery, privacy and wiretapping, and securities regulations. She also has experience conducting confidential investigations and counseling clients in the healthcare industry regarding, among other things, anti-kickback issues and drug promotional practices, including potential off-label promotion. She represents clients before law enforcement and regulatory agencies, including the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and various state attorneys general. In addition, Geeta assists clients in the development of FCPA and other anti-kickback corporate compliance policies, and trains clients on those policies, FCPA enforcement generally and other investigation issues.
Geeta also has experience in data breach response, including resulting litigation and government investigations and inquiries. In this respect, she has worked closely with forensic experts on issues relating to cybersecurity and Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance. In addition, she advises clients with respect to the preparation for sophisticated cybersecurity incidents, including with respect to the development of policies as well as the presentation of trainings and tabletop exercises.
In the civil litigation context, Geeta has represented clients in state and federal courts in matters involving contract disputes, business tort and consumer fraud claims, claims for trade secret misappropriation, ERISA class actions, claims for breach of fiduciary duty, and escheat and unclaimed property issues.
Geeta previously served as the co-chair for the American Bar Association’s Criminal Litigation Committee for the Section of Litigation. She was also named by Leading Lawyers as an “Illinois Emerging Lawyer” in 2015 through 2017 in the areas of White Collar and Commercial Litigation. She is a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee. In addition, Geeta is a 2019 Fellow of Leadership Greater Chicago (LGC).
Representative engagements include:
- Representation of the Audit Committee of an international company in an internal investigation on topics including fraud, embezzlement, bribery and other corruption allegations.
- Representation of a U.S.-based retailer in relation to a cybersecurity attack it experienced, including resulting litigation and government inquiries.
- Representation of a Fortune 50 company in connection with its development of a cybersecurity incident response plan.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 company in connection with its international post-acquisition anti-corruption due diligence review of the acquired company’s international operations and subsequent inquiries by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Representation of a U.S.-based REIT in its creation of a global anti-corruption program and anti-corruption training.
- Representation of a multi-national pharmaceutical manufacturer in an investigation conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice regarding drug promotional practices and the False Claims Act.
- Representation of a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in state attorneys general investigations regarding allegations of fraudulent marketing practices in violation of the states’ consumer protection laws.
- Representation of a global manufacturing company in an internal investigation involving anti-bribery allegations and subsequent compliance counseling.
- Representation of a publicly traded financial services company in an internal investigation of privacy and wiretapping issues.
- Representation of a Fortune 200 company in a civil lawsuit involving allegations of kickbacks, consumer fraud, and breach of contract.
- Representation of a Fortune 100 company against claims of patent and trade secrets infringement.
- Representation of the former Chairman and CEO of a Fortune 500 company in an SEC enforcement action, including trial.
Geeta served as a law clerk for the Honorable Virginia M. Kendall in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. She graduated summa cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law, where she served as a notes editor for the University of Illinois Law Review. Geeta is the author of “The Effect of Crawford v. Washington on the Admissibility of 911 Calls in Evidence-Based Domestic Violence Prosecutions,” 2006 U. Ill. L. Rev. 205.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General
- New York
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2006 (summa cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- Northwestern University, B.S., 2003 (summa cum laude)
- Virginia M. Kendall, U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois (2007 - 2008)