PRABHAT MEHTA’s practice focuses on domestic and international capital markets, mergers and acquisitions and investment transactions. He has split his career between New York and Asia. Prabhat has extensive experience in a range of securities transactions, including initial public offerings and offerings of high-yield debt, convertible and exchangeable debt, hybrid securities and structured products. He has represented companies and their underwriters and financial advisors in transactions involving parties in the United States, Asia, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East. In Asia, Prabhat has led deal teams on capital markets, M&A, joint venture, fund formation and other transactions in India, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Mongolia, Korea and Japan, among other countries. He has worked with sovereign wealth funds and major financial institutions on several landmark recapitalization transactions.
Examples of Prabhat’s significant experience include:
- Representation of Merrill Lynch & Co. in its US$9.8 billion offering of common stock, the largest-ever follow-on equity offering by a U.S. issuer at the time.
- Representation of Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC) in its US$6.9 billion investment in preferred stock of Citigroup Inc. and the subsequent exchange of the preferred stock for common stock.
- Representation of BW Group Limited in its $538 million sale of 11 very large crude carriers (VLCCs) to DHT Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: DHT), for a 33.5% equity interest in DHT and cash, creating one of the world’s largest operators of crude oil supertankers.
- Representation of several major U.S. financial institutions in billions of dollars of public, private and offshore debt financings, including regular issuances from structured note and structured certificate of deposit (CD) programs.
- Over 30 initial public offerings and over 20 high-yield debt transactions for companies in North America, South America, Asia and Europe.
- Work with issuers and underwriters in over 25 securities offerings for Indian companies, including completed or proposed transactions involving Tata Motors, Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum, Steel Authority of India (SAIL), Larsen & Toubro, the Network18 Group and Biocon Limited.
Prabhat regularly advises investment banks, issuers and other clients on equity derivatives and structured products. Prabhat’s work in equity derivatives includes structuring and executing transactions involving issuers, affiliates and other holders of concentrated positions.
Since the beginning of his career, Prabhat has devoted a significant part of his practice to India-related matters, including securities offerings for major Indian business groups and emerging companies, as well as privatizations, acquisitions, joint ventures, outsourcing and private fund formation.
Prabhat has been recognized in Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers as a leading lawyer for capital markets, M&A and corporate law.
He is a member of the Securities Regulation Committee of the New York City Bar Association and a past member and secretary of the Association’s Financial Reporting Committee.