We bring value to our clients in the following ways:
- Our lawyers represent cleantech clients ranging from ground-breaking start-ups to multinational Fortune 500 companies across a broad range of industries, including technology, life sciences, agribusiness and alternative energy.
- We assist clients in a variety of complex matters, including formation, compliance management, environmental, finance and securitization, government strategies, patent litigation, M&A, private equity, IPOs, regulatory, real estate, tax, international trade and technology and IP transactions.
- Our team represents emerging companies in a wide range of cleantech sectors, including alternative energy (wind solar, hydro and biomass), batteries, energy efficiency and storage, fuel cells, geothermal, materials, nuclear, recycling and waste, smart grid, solar cells, module manufacturers, transmission, transportation, and water and agritech.
Our work; representative matters
- Sunfolding in its recent $3 million financing, and Proterra Inc. in its $36 million financing.
- A utility organization in obtaining a DOE loan guarantee on revenue bonds to fund capital expenditures to improve transmission and generation infrastructure and convert existing oil-burning units to natural gas.
- Exelon Generating in its $1.36 billion acquisition of Antelope Valley Solar Ranch One from First Solar Inc.
- The lenders in the financing of a California-based $1.46 billion utility scale solar project.
- Canadian Solar in its successful defense of IP infringement claims.
- A lender in its first financing of rooftop solar systems on residential, commercial and military housing units with an aggregate value of $475 million.
- Equity investors in a first-of-its-kind PAYGO financing of $500 million in wind projects.
- LNG America LLC in developing a first-of-its-kind LNG marine bunkering business and its associated $5.0 million financing.
- The Cleantech Open in its U.S. operations and international expansion with the UN.
- Yingli Green Energy and other leading Chinese solar cell and module manufacturers in international trade disputes in the U.S. and European Union.
About our team
From initial formation and financing to going public, our Cleantech team provides both novel and pragmatic advice to businesses at all stages of the corporate life cycle. We also address the complex legal issues affecting day-to-day operations and are committed to providing powerful results when and where our clients need them most.
Partnergnash@sidley.com +1 650 565 7113Palo Alto
Partnerrweiner@sidley.com +1 202 736 8790 +32 2 504 6450Washington, D.C., Brussels