NILOFER UMAR represents corporations, boards of directors and directors and officers in federal securities class actions, shareholder derivative suits, M&A litigation, proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in connection with shareholder demands and special committee investigations.
Recent representative engagements include:
- Representation of numerous corporations and special committees in connection with investigations in response to shareholder demands.
- Representation of Fortune 50 global retail pharmacy company in defense of shareholder derivative litigation. Motion to dismiss granted.
- Representation of the leading global manufacturer of construction and mining equipment in defense of state and federal shareholder claims. Motions to dismiss granted. Dismissal of federal derivative litigation was affirmed by the Seventh Circuit.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 credit card company in defense of derivative litigation in the Northern District of Illinois and an appeal to the Seventh Circuit. Motion to dismiss granted.
- Representation of a multinational quick-service restaurant company in defense of federal securities litigation in the Western District of Kentucky. Complaint dismissed and dismissal affirmed by the Sixth Circuit.
Nilofer has been recognized by Law360 as a Rising Star in the area of Securities Litigation, by The Legal 500 as a Next Generation Lawyer in the area of M&A Litigation, and has been named by Leading Lawyers as an Emerging Lawyer in the areas of Directors & Officers Liability Law and Commercial Litigation. She also serves as a member of the board of directors of the Kohl Children’s Museum and CARPLS. Prior to joining the firm, Nilofer clerked for the Honorable David H. Coar in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.