HILLE SHEPPARD co-leads Sidley’s global securities and shareholder litigation practice. During more than 25 years at Sidley, Hille has firmly established herself as one of the nation’s top securities litigators. She is ranked in Band 1 by Chambers USA for securities litigation (2021) and was named by Law360 as one of the 25 Most Influential Women in Securities Law and was profiled in that publication on July 22, 2016. Hille was named by BTI Consulting as a 2020 Client Service All-Star and a 2022 All-Star MVP.
Hille’s practice focuses on high-stakes litigation, including defending companies and their officers and directors in securities and RICO class actions, shareholder derivative litigation and commercial disputes, as well as SEC investigations and enforcement proceedings. Hille also helps companies and their boards navigate shareholder demands and conducts Special Committee investigations. Hille also regularly counsels many clients concerning potential exposures, indemnification and how best to position themselves for litigation.
Hille regularly leads major litigation and investigations, including the following recent representations:
- Defended money transfer company in securities and RICO class actions filed in the District of Colorado in the wake of company’s entry into a deferred prosecution agreement. Dismissal of securities case affirmed by the Tenth Circuit (dismissal of RICO action not appealed)
- Defended Board of Directors of money transfer company in shareholder derivative litigation in the District of Colorado challenging AML compliance. Dismissal of case affirmed by the Tenth Circuit
- Defended private equity company and portfolio company in breach of contract case in the Northern District of Illinois. Won eight straight motions, including defeating motion for a preliminary injunction, before favorable settlement
- Defended energy companies in RICO class action in the Northern District of Illinois challenging regulatory submissions. Case dismissed
- Defended oncology company and its officers and directors in securities class action filed in state court following company’s IPO. Case dismissed
- Defended pharmaceutical companies in RICO class action in the Northern District of Illinois challenging vial sizes. Case dismissed
- Defended insurance company in RICO class action in the Southern District of Iowa regarding captive reinsurance transactions. Case dismissed
- Defended credit card company in shareholder derivative litigation in the Northern District of Illinois arising from company’s consent order with regulators. Case dismissed
- Represented bank in SEC enforcement action in the District of Minnesota; favorable settlement in which bank received money approved by court
- Defended former CEO and CFO of coal company in the Eastern District of Missouri in securities litigation stemming from a restatement of earnings. Dismissal of case affirmed by the Eighth Circuit
- Lead lawyer in multiple securities cases arising from M&A transactions
- Lead lawyer representing multiple companies in receipt of shareholder demands and books-and-records inspection demands, and as they conduct Special Committee investigations
- Lead lawyer representing multiple companies and individuals in SEC investigations
Hille is ranked in Band 1 by Chambers USA for Litigation: Securities — Illinois, which observes that “‘Hille is a terrific securities litigator,’ according to clients, and highly respected for her representation of corporate clients facing big-ticket securities class actions and derivative suits, as well as advising on external investigations” (2021). In the 2021 guide, clients noted Hille is “so sensitive to the needs of clients, is easy to deal with and is quick, prompt and doesn't waste any time getting the job done.” She also has been recognized by The Legal 500 in Securities: Shareholder Litigation and M&A Litigation for her “thoroughness, analytical ability and persuasiveness” (2013 – 2017. She is approved panel counsel for AIG and Chubb.