SAMIR GANDHI is the global practice leader of the firm’s Capital Markets group and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Sam previously served as the managing partner of Sidley’s New York office.
Sam focuses on capital markets offerings, corporate matters and private equity transactions. He represents issuers and underwriters in a broad range of capital markets activities and has extensive experience advising corporate clients on disclosure and governance matters, complex financial structures, public offerings and private placements. Sam also represents domestic and foreign fund sponsors, investment banks and other private investors in their private equity and venture capital activities and rights holders and media companies in sponsorship and media contracts in the sports and entertainment industries.
Recent matters include:
- Represented the underwriters in Klaviyo, Inc.’s (NYSE: KVYO) initial public offering of 19,200,000 shares of its Series A common stock at an initial public offering price of US$30 per share.
- Represented Flex Ltd. (Nasdaq: FLEX), an American multinational manufacturing company domiciled in Singapore, and its Fremont, California-based solar technology subsidiary, Nextracker Inc. (Nasdaq: NXT), in its US$662.5 million combined primary (synthetic secondary) and secondary underwritten public offering of its Class A common stock by Nextracker and certain selling stockholders.
- Representation of Flex Ltd. (Nasdaq: FLEX) and its Fremont, California-based solar technology subsidiary, Nextracker Inc. (Nasdaq: NXT), in its upsized US$734.2 million initial public offering, making it the largest IPO of 2023.
- Representation of Flex Ltd. in its sale of US$500 million of convertible preferred equity in Nextracker to TPG Rise Climate.
Representation of Fortune Brands in the spinoff if its cabinets business, MasterBrand, Inc.
- Representation of Athene Holding Ltd. in its initial public offering — named “Equity Deal of the Year — Americas” in 2017 by The International Financial Law Review.
- Representation of Aprea Therapeutics, Inc., Blue Ocean Acquisition Corp., Membership Collective Group, Inc., and Biodesix, Inc. in their recent initial public offerings.
- Representation of the underwriters in the recent initial public offerings of Bridge Investment Group Holdings, Inc., Immuneering Corporation, Tyra Biosciences, Inc., Pharvaris N.V., GoHealth, Inc., Lefteris Acquisition Corp., Newmark Group, Inc., Franklin Financial Network, Inc., and SelectQuote, Inc.
- Representation of the underwriters in securities offerings by ABB Ltd., American Campus Communities, BGC Partners, Inc., Cantor Fitzgerald LP, CHS, Inc., Dairy Farmers of America, The Depository Trust Company Corporation, First Republic Bank, Fortune Brands Home & Security, Freddie Mac, Hubble, Inc., Land O’ Lakes, Inc., Mid-America Apartments Inc., McKesson, Newmark Group, Inc., NV5 Global, Orchid Island Capital, Inc., O’Reilly Auto Parts, Retail Opportunity Investment Company, Stryker, Inc., UDR, Inc., Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield and Walgreens Boots Alliance.
- Representation of Athene Holding Ltd., Argo Financial Services Ltd., AmTrust Financial Services, Maiden Holdings Ltd., and Sumitomo Corporation of America as issuer in public and private securities offerings.
- Representation of Athene Holding in its proposed merger with Apollo Global Management, in an all-stock transaction creating a pro forma US$29 billion market cap company (with Athene valued at approximately US$11 billion).
- Representation of Evolution Media Capital in corporate, advisory and investment matters.
- Representation of the Confederation of North American, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) in their corporate, governance and media matters.
- Representation of Equity International in an equity investment in SAMHI Hotels, a hotel operator in India.
- Representation of the sponsor and fund in the establishment of each of HDFC Property Fund and Kae Capital Fund, each international funds targeting investments into India.
Sam’s leadership in such matters has earned him acknowledgment in numerous industry publications. According to Chambers and Partners, sources say Sam “is spectacular,” adding, “he is one of the most pragmatic guys around and has emerged as a real leader in the Bar.” Clients also told Chambers that Sam is “very communicative“ and “approachable and practical.” The Legal 500 has recognized Sam in the areas of capital markets debt and equity offerings, with sources telling the publication he is “unequivocally a top lawyer.” Sam has also been acknowledged as a leading lawyer in the publications The Legal 500 (2010–2015), Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers (2006–2023), Chambers Global (2007–2023) and Chambers Asia (2010–2012). He was named in Diversity & The Bar Magazine as one of the “15 Rainmakers Who Always Shine,” in 2015. Sam has also been recognized in the 2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Capital Markets. Additionally, Sam has been recognized for his commitment to pro bono legal services. In 2019, he was honored with the Pro Bono Partnership’s Champion Award.
Sam serves as host of The Sidley Podcast which brings compelling perspectives on complex, newsworthy topics at the intersection of business and law. Each episode features a discussion with Sidley lawyers on the critical issues that matter to senior business leaders.