SAMIR GANDHI is the managing partner of Sidley’s New York office.
Sam focuses on capital markets offerings, corporate matters and private equity transactions. He represents issuers and underwriters in a broad range of capital markets activities and has extensive experience advising corporate clients on disclosure and governance matters, complex financial structures, public offerings and private placements. Sam also represents domestic and foreign fund sponsors, investment banks and other private investors in their private equity and venture capital activities and rights holders and media companies in sponsorship and media contracts in the sports and entertainment industries.
Recent matters include:
- Representation of the underwriters in securities offerings by ABB Ltd., American Campus Communities, Cantor Fitzgerald LP, CHS, Inc., Dairy Farmers of America, The Depository Trust Company Corporation, First Republic Bank, F.N.B. Corp., Fortune Brands Home & Security, Franklin Financial Network, Inc., Freddie Mac, Fuel Systems Solutions, Land O’ Lakes, Inc., Mid-America Apartments Inc., McKesson, Newmark Group, Inc., O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pennsylvania Real Estate Trust, Popular, Inc., Retail Opportunity Investment Company, Stryker, Inc., Tompkins Financial, UDR, Inc., UMB Financial and USAA.
- Representation of Athene Holding Ltd., AmTrust Financial Services, Maiden Holdings Ltd. and National General Holdings Corp. as issuer in public and private securities offerings.
- Representation of Athene Holding Ltd. in its initial public offering – named “Equity deal of the year – Americas” in 2017 by The International Financial Law Review.
- Representation of the underwriters in the initial public offering of shares of Newmark Group, Inc.
- Representation of Evolution Media Capital in corporate and advisory matters.
- Representation of the Confederation of North American, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) in their corporate, governance and media matters.
- Representation of Equity International in an equity investment in SAMHI Hotels, a hotel operator in India.
- Representation of the sponsor and fund in the establishment of each of HDFC Property Fund and Kae Capital Fund, each international funds targeting investments into India.
Sam’s leadership in such matters has earned him acknowledgment in numerous industry publications. According to Chambers and Partners, sources praise Sam for his “‘tremendously practical approach in cutting through the chaff and getting to what’s important,’” as well as for his “‘excellent availability and responsiveness.’” Clients also told Chambers that Sam is “‘an outstanding attorney who really knows his subject matter’ and describe him as “‘very communicative’ and ‘approachable and practical.’” The Legal 500 has recognized Sam in the areas of capital markets debt and equity offerings, with sources telling the publication he is “‘unequivocally a top lawyer.’” Sam has also been acknowledged as a leading lawyer in the publications The Legal 500 (2010–2015), Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers (2006–2017), Chambers Global (2007–2020) and Chambers Asia (2010–2012). He was named in Diversity & the Bars as one of the “15 Rainmakers Who Always Shine,” in 2015. Sam has also been recognized in the 2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Capital Markets. Additionally, Sam has been recognized for his commitment to pro bono legal services. In 2019, he was honored with Pro Bono Partnership’s Champion Award.
Admissions & Certifications
- New York
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1993 (with honors)
- The University of Chicago, A.B., 1990