NATHANIEL LOVE is a litigator who helps companies in the software, mobile device and related technology fields resolve challenging problems presented by patent litigation in district courts and on appeal.
Nat tackles complex patent damages issues, including those presented by plaintiffs with litigation-driven business models. Nat also has extensive experience in both patent and breach of contract cases involving patents declared essential to technology standards which are subject to fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory (FRAND) licensing commitments, including experience with multiple appeals concerning injunctions on standard-essential patents. Nat’s trial experience includes preparing and examining witnesses at trial and serving as second-chair trial counsel. Nat also takes the lead in drafting appellate briefs and has argued multiple cases in the courts of appeal, including the Second, Seventh, Ninth, and Federal Circuits.
Nat’s master’s degree in computer science and his prior experience as a UNIX operating system developer help him to provide his clients with a comprehensive perspective. In addition to his work for clients in the information technology industries, Nat works with companies in the medical device and pharmaceutical industries, including in patent cases involving catheters, surgical guides and drug-eluting stents.
Representative matters include:
- Briefed and argued district court motion resulting in judgment of non-infringement of a file-searching patent on behalf of multiple online retailers, and drafted briefs successfully defending the judgment on appeal (Northern District of California and Federal Circuit).
- Argued and won appeal successfully defending USPTO decisions finding all challenged claims of two reconfigurable computing system patents unpatentable (Federal Circuit).
- Secured affirmance of a USPTO decision finding all challenged claims of two group messaging patents unpatentable (Federal Circuit).
- Drafted post-trial briefing and obtained a new trial on damages following an unfavorable jury verdict, and served as second chair trial counsel in the subsequent trial (Eastern District of Texas).
- Prevailed as part of a trial team obtaining a jury verdict of non-infringement in a case involving a billion-dollar damages claim, and drafted briefing successfully defending that verdict on appeal (Eastern District of Texas and Federal Circuit).
- Prevailed as part of a trial team in breach of contract litigation challenging demands for licensing fees for standard-essential patents, and drafted briefing successfully defending the award of damages and injunctive relief on multiple appeals (Western District of Washington and Ninth Circuit).
- Drafted successful motion to compel production of allegedly-privileged documents in breach of contract litigation with non-practicing patent assertion entity, then drafted briefing, argued, and prevailed in the Second Circuit opposing petition to vacate the district court’s order (Southern District of New York and Second Circuit).