DAVID RONEY, co-leader of Sidley’s Global Arbitration, Trade and Advocacy practice, has more than 25 years of experience as an advocate in a broad range of complex international disputes around the world.
David has acted as counsel before international arbitral tribunals in commercial and investment disputes involving many different sectors and activities, including construction, infrastructure and energy projects, technology co-development agreements, intellectual property licensing, sports and entertainment broadcasting arrangements, manufacturing agreements, distribution and sales contracts, share purchase and asset purchase transactions, international joint ventures, sponsorship arrangements and sports. He has represented a diverse group of clients before many of the major international arbitral institutions, including the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) and the Swiss Chambers of Commerce (Swiss Rules). These disputes have involved a host of different applicable laws and places of arbitration ranging from London to Stockholm to Hong Kong.
David has received acknowledgement from numerous industry ranking guides:
- Chambers Europe and Chambers Global 2022 – Ranked for Arbitration (International) and Arbitration Counsel (Switzerland), where clients comment "he is a highly experienced and effective international arbitration practitioner," and "David Roney is thoughtful in the way that he approaches his work and always shows good judgement."
- Best Lawyers in Switzerland 2022 - Ranked for Arbitration and Mediation and International Arbitration.
- Who’s Who Legal 2022 – Recognized as Thought Leaders – Arbitration (Global and Switzerland).
- Chambers Global 2021 - Ranked for Arbitration, with clients describing him as “very amenable, but below the surface there’s an edge of steel, which is what you need.”
- Chambers Europe 2021 – Ranked as notable practitioner, with sources praising his client-oriented approach.
- Chambers Europe 2020 - Ranked for Arbitration, where clients remark “he consistently shows himself to be focused and incisive in his analysis of issues. He is well organised and thoughtful when working on a team project.” Another client enthuses: “He is very sharp and leaves nothing to chance. Every last detail is covered and he ends up knowing the facts of the case better than the client he represents.”
- Chambers Europe 2019- Ranked for Arbitration, where clients describe David as “highly experienced and an excellent strategist.”
- Chambers Europe 2018- Ranked for Arbitration, where sources note that “he is straightforward and brilliant.”
- Best Lawyers in Switzerland 2020 - International Arbitration “Lawyer of the Year.”
- Who’s Who Legal since 2018 – Ranked as “Global Leader” for Arbitration.
David is Co-Founder and President of the Board of Trustees of the Foundation for International Arbitration Advocacy (FIAA). In that capacity, he has provided training in the examination and cross-examination of fact and expert witnesses to hundreds of international arbitration practitioners around the world.
Recently, David led Sidley’s pro-bono engagement with the USAID/Mongolia Business Plus Initiative to support the Mongolian Ministry of Justice in the development of a new state-of-the-art arbitration law adopted by the Parliament of Mongolia in early 2017. He was awarded the Mongolian Minister of Justice’s Medal of Office for his contribution to this important law reform project.
David is also a Formula One Co-Opted Judge of the FIA – Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile International Court of Appeal, a Member of the Arbitration Court of the Swiss Chambers’ Arbitration Institution, Co-Chair of the ICC Commission Arbitration Task Force on “National Rules of Procedure for Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards pursuant to the New York Convention of 1958,” a Member of the Users Council of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre, a Member of the ICC National Committee for Canada and a Member of the Advisory Board of the Uniform Law Conference of Canada International Arbitration Legislation Project. He is also Adjunct Faculty Member at the prestigious Geneva MIDS – LL.M. in International Dispute Settlement offered by the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, where he leads workshops on written and oral advocacy for international arbitration. He speaks and publishes regularly on international arbitration topics.
David is fluent in English and French.